Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anna Paulina Luna, another fabricated House freshman biography

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Feb 10, 2023.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The voters have the power to change that. They aren't using that power.

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe there is nothing that could be done differently, but what does it say that something that is widely supported can't even get a vote (even when one party controls the government)? Doesn't tell me we live in a very democratic system. The US Constitution is designed to suppress that kind of popular will and democratic sentiment, and it succeeds again and again.

3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I agree with you here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    A lot of people think that nothing ever seems to get done and so they tune it out and don't bother to vote. That's a winning argument for Republicans, who actually don't want anything to get done that would actually help people. It plays right into their hands.

The idea that both sides, Dems and Repubs, are equally bad, or that neither side actually cares about the average person on the street, is really destructive and self-defeating. It's a total false equivalency.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The way I see it is that Dems have set a sort of trap for themselves. They are the party of good government, but also the party of rules and norms and stuff. Thats all well and good when norms and rules can deliver good governance and improve people's day to day, but basically they dont anymore (if they ever did, but its more obvious now). The system runs on procedural warfare, legalistic power grabs, rule flaunting and the problem for Dems is that if they overstep all their rhetoric about devotion to rules and norms to deliver good governance they will basically be called anti-democratic, authoritarian, hypocritical etc. Some might say this is exactly what the Democrats want, they get to avoid using power, something they are afraid to do compared to Republicans like DeSantis who rightfully are called authoritarian in nature. But people respond to that and say he's a guy who can actually do things too. Especially when compared to a person who is like "well I'd like to give you healthcare, but well there is this made up rule called the filibuster." What if it requires becoming authoritarian to save democracy? I think its probably does, or at least doing things that will be called "authoritarian" but will have some popular backing that would be required to be considered legitimate.

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    May I recommend a podcast episode saying precisely that? Perhaps you are already familiar with the presentation in on medium or another

The Ezra Klein Show - How Liberals — Yes, Liberals — Are Hobbling Government (google.com)

8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The dam broke. There is no expectation of honesty from the Republican electorate because, you know, libs want to destroy America.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Figured.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    DeSantis has an absolute supermajority in the state congress that is aligned with basically all of his policy priorities.

And due to gerrymandering, neither DeSantis nor the state congress have any incentive to moderate or play by the rules. Just the opposite, they are far better off politically by going as extreme as possible to reduce their only potential threat profile (a primary from the right).

In that kind of environment, it's easy to get stuff done, even/especially authoritarian stuff.

DC is a completely different dynamic. Biden can't kill the filibuster because he doesn't have the votes. Full stop. That's not an issue DeSantis would ever face in Florida, but certainly one he would if he became prez. His authoritarian desires notwithstanding.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Voters are lazy. Perhaps the founders knew this when they wrote the Constitution. Maybe voters shouldn't get to choose their Senators. Maybe voters shouldn't get to elect the President. Maybe we should be a little more parliamentarian in our governance.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Its not about having votes necessarily, I dont even mean that really. Is there a Democrat that would be willing to ignore a supreme court ruling or even say that judicial review is unconstitutional to marginalize the court system? Declare the debt ceiling unconstitutional? (maybe that could happen) These are the kind of things I'm talking about, legalistic maneuvers or rule interpretation to use power to achieve things that will make it easier for Dems to get the necessary votes or legitimacy to do big things, or at the very least diffuse or quash the sort of self-inflicted or intentional rolling crises that define Constitutional government in 2023.

14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Probably going to uncover more and more of this with the ease of background searches today. Might put a stop to it.

15. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    I think most democrats understand that ignoring a supreme court ruling is a bad long-term play, because it opens the door for states to ignore court rulings as well.

And as the feds enforce most important things through the court system, it becomes a self-defeating strategy.

16. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Serious question, are you enrolled in the Civics Seal of Excellence program?

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Well yes, in the long term we're all dead, so I go back to my point about the Democrats not delivering on things in the short term or using this type of thinking as an excuse for inaction. At some point though the rhetoric that democracy is in danger and the Republicans are a threat but you cant do anything about it because we need to think long term is untenable. You are going to create the conditions for the person who is going to do the authoritarian-type actions needed to "save" or "kill" democracy.

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Look, you're not wrong that the party needs to grow a pair on some of these things, including the debt ceiling. I'm doubtful Biden is the guy to do that.

19. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    No I am not. I don’t believe I’ll ever see a dime of the stipend.

If you’re worried about my opinions and my students, I am a professional. I don’t even give my opinion when asked. That is not my job.

In response to what I said above about the election of Senators and Presidents, I leave a quote from Winston Churchill:
    “The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”

With that, I am out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I was just curious if you were, no need to get huffy. Some people I know are doing it and I was just curious if you were doing it.

Edit to add: curious why you think a parliamentary system would any different? That system gave the UK Brexit.