Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alternative to Biden

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator7_5, Jan 12, 2024.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Senator Klobushur would be a good starting point. Moderate, well-spoken, and experienced.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    The same people who were telling us how great Biden is are now musing openly about who to replace him with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m curious, if you’re referencing me, when I’ve stated how great Biden is.

4. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Denial was skipped over. Anger was all used up against Trump. Some are still looking for the false hope of bargaining, but I think just half a day after the debate that many are moving into depression. It might be a while before acceptance of reality is reached, though.

5. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Meh. Something about her drives me nuts.

I'd take Newsome in a heart beat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Why do so many people feel so helplessly compelled to vote for the lesser of two evils when not voting is logically and morally superior? Voting is compulsory in many "free" countries. If people believe that the blood of the soldier is spilled for our freedom, why does it never occur to anybody on Memorial Day, D-Day, the 4th of July, or Veterans Day that maybe, just maybe, not voting is voting when you have to hold your nose to pick somebody?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Does not look like he is going anywhere.

upload_2024-6-28_16-16-56.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    too little too late, where was that guy last night when it could have made a difference?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If Biden performs during the balance of the campaign like he did earlier today in North Carolina he can recover from last night's disaster and still win the election. That being said one more performance like last night's and Joe Biden will be dead meat whether it's in a second debate, a press conference or another situation in which speaks extemporaneously. Just my opinion it's not worth the risk. Hopefully Jill can convince him to withdraw. Contrary to what members of the Cult of the Donald have said numerous times on this board Biden has actually has a real legacy of accomplishment. If Joe Biden has another meltdown his legacy will be the second term of the candidate who has promised to be a dictator from day one and whose primary goal should he be elected is retribution.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I think he’s toast. Last night felt like an inflection point.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Newsome is too far to the left. I really think this Country needs a staunch moderate.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No she is not

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The reality is that US elections are binary and voting for the lesser of two evils is a valid decision. Voting third-party or not voting at all is defacto concurrence with the results of the election.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    that's not true. First, your arg rest on the assumption that your vote can effect the outcome. The odds of that are so very staggering that it's an asinine assumption. So, from the perspective of having any influence on the outcome, not voting & voting are no different. So, your arg is already destroyed.

So, the Q is, is there any other source of value to voting? A wee bit in the form of providing information. The best way to convey your preferences & hence, info via voting is to vote for those who most closely rep your preferences.

The wasted vote myth | Freepress.org

So what happens after you vote the defensive vote? Well, then you have sold out your personal beliefs. You have become a political prostitute. You aren’t standing up for what you believe in by voting “the lesser of two evils.”

I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of being a political hooker. If you think the Republican or the Democrat really does best mirror your beliefs, by all means, vote for that candidate. But if you don’t, and you still vote for them, you’re helping to preserve the status quo you probably despise.

Remember, You Never Decide the Winner

On statewide races (larger than city council races), there is a single important point to remember: You as an individual will never cast the deciding ballot! Hence there is no reason to vote for the lesser evil.

Most of the time we hear the wasted vote argument most in precisely the races where it applies least. For instance, the Presidency of the United States.

p.s. Oh, for me personally, I get a bit of value from being able to say I have not voted for an R or D in any race since 1990. something > nothing

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While a single vote wouldn't affect the outcome of a presidential election the cumulative effect of many single votes obviously would and thanks to the Electoral College system even with around 155 million total votes a few thousand in key swing states could determine the results of an election. If someone wants to make a statement by not voting or voting third-party to make a statement he or she can do so but that vote would still be tacit concurrence of the final outcome the binary election.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Because everyone thinks (or is told) that his or her vote could make the difference. Just like buying six numbers in Mega Millions or Powerball thinking there's a good chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    He’s a moderate and an active, avowed Christian …… two traits that would never fly with the wild-eyed, irreligious insanity of the elitist progressives running the DNC.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2