Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) All Time Gator Softball Team

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Jun 5, 2024.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Interesting Fodder for discussion. I'm listing my starting lineup, with batting order, including a DP, plus 3 pitchers and 3 utility players.

SS - Skylar Wallace
    2B - Kelsey Stewart
    LF - Amanda Lorenz
    DP - Lauren Haeger
    1B - Megan Bush
    RF - Kelsey Bruder
    3B - Stephanie Tofft
    CF - Michelle Moultrie
    C - Aubree Munro
    P - Stacey Nelson

P - Kelly Barnhill
    P - Hannah Rogers
    P - Lauren Haeger
    UTL - Francesca Enea
    UTL - Aja Paculba
    UTL - Nicole DeWitt

Honorable Mention - Kirsti Merritt, Hannah Adams, Alecia Ocasio, Charla Echols

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  2. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I don't have time to devote right now, but Hannah Adams might fit in there somewhere. Tier 1 GGOAT (Greatest Gator...) is Lorenz, Nelson, Haeger and Wallace imho. Kelsey Stewart maybe, but I think she had a pretty pedestrian senior year (for her)? For all the power she provided, I'll always remember Megan Bush for her smile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    We may be have to start discussing honorable mentions to Kendra Falby, Jocey Ericson, Korbe Otis, Keagan Rockwell and Reagan Walsh

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    For sure they may eventually qualify for an all time Gator team, but I wouldn't put them on my list until their careers are over. But that's just me. There are no rules for this sujective thread.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I've got Hannah Adams as an Honorable Mention and she is definitely an all time great. Kelsey Stewart played out of her normal 2B position her last year, playing SS to help the team. You look at the all time career stats and Stewart, Aja Paculba & Hannah Adams are the 3 best second basemen in Gator history. I saw Megan Bush at a couple of Gator baseball games back in the day and her tremendous smile was even better in person than on TV. And what power she had with a bat!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Aubree Monroe is one of my favorite all time Gators. But I would choose Jocey Ericson to be my catcher. Both excel on defense, but Jocey hits better than Aubrey.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I never considered someone for the all-time team who hadn't finished their career. Certainly, if Erickson has 2 more year at UF like she did this year she could definitely supplant Aubree in my list. But I just never thought about it after only 1 year of paying. But again, this is a subjective, personal opinion thread with no rules established. And that was my intent. To have anybody and everybody voice their opinion and preferences. All good.

8. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    This is a fun discussion about great players who all have touched our Gator SB collective, competitive hearts. Aubree has always been my favorite player. I like Jocey as well. I have a soft spot for excellent catchers. I played catcher and know the position very well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. manigordo

If it is a former player, then my fav is always going to be AM!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Good team, but I would have to find a place for Ocasio somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocalaman, great job. I’m going to agree with you nearly 100%. My only question would be was Tofft at third a better player than Echols? Echols first year at UF was pretty amazing. I believe she only struck out a handful of times while putting up huge offensive numbers and outstanding defense. Second season not as good. I know Tofft was on the championship teams but I don’t remember her performance like I do Echols. What was your reasoning in I’m guessing giving her the edge over Echols?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh, and after reading the other posts, of course Jocey Erickson is a no brainer to replace Munroe after she finishes her outstanding career with UF. Not only is she an outstanding defensive catcher which was Aubrey’s specialty but to set the UF rbi record in her first season was amazing. Aubrey was offensively challenged and usually hit in the low to mid .200’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    Like Jocey, Aubree was clutch in many big games. CTW has reminded us of those contributions in discussions of Aubree during those championship years. Eg., her home run against Bama’s “J Train”, Jaclyn Traina, in Game 1 of the 2014 WCWS Championship Series, scoring the game’s first run and setting the tone for the Gator offense in a 5-0 win.

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Very subjective reasoning :)and a very close call for me. I had to put both on the team in my mind, but I had Tofft starting and Echols as Honorable Mention (or barely missing the cut). Echols transferred from Michigan State and played 3 years for Florida. Tofft transferred from Northern Illinois and played 2 years for Florida. So comparing career stats gives the edge to Charla in most categorties because she played 1 more year. In career BA Echols is 7th all time at .355, Tofft 8th at .344. In career slugging Echols is 7th all time at .637, Tofft isn't in the Top 10. In career on base percentage, Tofft is 9th all time at .466, Echols isn't in the Top 10. Echols got more post season awards and accolades, no doubt, and I couldn't argue with anyone who put her as the all time Gator 3rd baseman.
    I just distinctly remember that while Stephanie was excellent during the regular season in her 2 years at Florida, she was absolutely GREAT in the post season, especially the National title year in 2014. So I went back and looked some things up. In 2013, when the Gators went 1-2 in the WCWS, Tofft was their 2nd leading hitter for the season at .332, but their leading hitter in the post season at .400. She hit .600 in the SEC tournament. In 2014, when UF won their first national title, she hit .433 in the NCAA tournament with 11 RBI and led the team in RBI in the WCWS. She just came up big every time her team needed it and, as great as Echols was, to me she didn't always do that. No doubt in my mind, though, that these 2 were our best third basemen so far.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocala - Adding to my agreement with Toft, when she threw the ball to first, you could actually hear the wind from the throw. I still think she had the best arm for a female I have ever seen. The movement of Kelsey to SS was a disaster not only fielding but her hitting dropped like 100 points if I remember it correctly. Megan was our best ever hitting first baseman but Taylor S was our best fielder with amazing range and glove control. I won't take Megan off the list BUT Taylor is just a small notch below. At the end of her career next year Falby will be remembered as our greatest outfielder. She makes plays no one else can make. Other players make diving tough catches that she makes look routine due to her jump on the ball and speed. Great list and great memories!

• Like Like x 2
  16. UF66

UF66 Seawolf83 Premium Member

Oct 20, 2014
    St Augustine, Fl
    IMO Kirsti Merritt was a better college CF than Moultrie while Moultrie was the better pro.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Good point, Charla would be my 3rd baseman. . Can't believe I forgot her.

18. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m not going to do a whole list, but Barnhill would not be on my all time team. Too easily rattled, and can’t field her position. When she was good, she was REALLY good, but she could spiral in a hurry. I’d rather have a Gourley or even Ocasio. They may not have had quite the ceiling, but both were tough as nails. Ocasio also gives you a very good glove and a very good bat to work with.

Like you said, it’s all subjective. That’s my $.02. I like the majority of your picks.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Brittany Schutte deserves at least a mention. For my money, she was the best power hitter we had. Only player to hit 40+ HR in her first two seasons. One of two players to hit .725+ SLG in multiple season, but the only one to do it as a FR and a SO.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. manigordo

I hate to pile on a Gator Great, but I totally agree. KB would not sniff my all time team. Flame thrower for sure, but, as you said, too many holes in her game and too little improvement.

• Like Like x 1