Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alito won’t recuse himself

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, May 29, 2024.

1. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Weird superlative, but criminals definitely tend to be investigated more than non-criminals.

2. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Nothing has stuck? Where in the world have you been?

3. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Interesting article here. Explains why consumers of the right wing fake media lie campaign hate Merchan.

Fox News and right-wing media have already decided the Trump trial verdict
    https://www.cnn.com/business/media/fox-news-right-wing-media-trump-trial-verdict

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Look. I understand the outcry and find the flag incident to be quite problematic, but bit suggesting he should "take it down himself" when his wife refused does seem to be a bit of a chauvinist flex does it not? (;)) Does him being a justice give him the right to trample on her right?

5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    In a word, yes, though "trample" is a bit extreme. "I love you, dear, but I really must take this flag down to avoid a shit storm," would have worked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's exactly why this explanation isn't remotely plausible. "Leaving that flag upside down could impact my credibility, affect the integrity of the Supreme Court, and lead to investigations, but I support you in your fight with our neighbors." Give me a break. Especially coming from someone who we know doesn't respect the ability of women to make their own decisions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Except this isn't a "Honey, you put up a Nole flag when you know I'm a Gator ..." thing. This is a "Honey, I'm a justice on the United States Supreme Court and that flag puts my entire ability, and the court's ability, to be fair and impartial into doubt."

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You assume Alito is telling the truth about this aspect of the situation when he lied about others.

"Alito’s excuse about the kids and the school bus was a lie. His claim that the flag was flown following a dispute with the neighbors is inaccurate. And none of it explains why he flew another pro-insurrection flag over his vacation home."

Alito's explanation for his upside-down flag has fallen apart

Last edited: May 30, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's what they both signed up for when he took the job. Most judges take their ethical obligations very seriously and err strongly on the side of not creating any reason to doubt their impartiality (even if the idea of impartiality is mostly crap).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Whoa, "mostly crap"? No one on the planet is completely impartial, including you and me, and one man's meat is another man's poison. However, I've known many trial judges who religiously follow the law even if it conflicts with their personal views, including one who waived parental consent of a minor who wanted to have an abortion even though the judge was a Catholic vehemently opposed to abortion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    We're all subject to our biases. The more discretion we have, the more we tend to lean into those biases. Some judges do strive to follow the law and aim to be fair. They should be commended for that. Others don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Good point- but Cohen wasn’t also former president. I think that matters. Also Cohen had convictions beyond the business records infractions.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  13. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Um, no.

If I put up a flag which was, say, racially disparaging towards people or otherwise offensive in a patently unacceptable way (such as supporting an insurrection)........my wife could not be faulted for thinking "This property is half mine, I live here and this reflects on me" and taking it down. Similarly a man could think the same way, and do such.

Obviously this isn't suggesting physical violence by anyone, towards anyone. But you're really just advocating that it's acceptable for another line to be crossed in the Trumpy degradation of our country.

I mean seriously : a freaking sitting USSC Justice has been flying a flag supporting the violent insurrection and attack on our Capitol, in which hundreds of cops were beaten?!!!!!!!!!!!"

The only surprise to me is that there is actually anyone in the country not insistent that he resign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Apparently, Alito is for freedom of choice for his wife but not any other women.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    While I readily acknowledge it was NOT a criminal conviction and shouldn't be treated as one, Trump was found to have sexually assaulted a woman. That should be taken into consideration at sentencing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I can’t stand Alito. But I find it plausible that his wife is a dingbat and has possibly gone down the MAGA rabbit hole and perhaps he hasn’t, or that it was her doing. Also I get it you ask your spouse to take something down and she refuses, you probably just don’t override her.

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You absolutely do when you're a member of the federal judiciary. It's your job. Alito is throwing his wife under the bus.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. tilly

And taking his wifes flag down against her wishes is a violation of her free speech rights which is also problematic for a justice.

Its a stupid move by his wife (if that is even what actually happened) but *IF* so, he is sorta in a pickle.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  19. tilly

No. I make no assumptions. I assume most people in these positions will lie like a cheap rug to save their power.

I am speaking solely based on "IF". (See post above)

20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That is flatly wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2