Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alito won’t recuse himself

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, May 29, 2024.

1. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/05/29/supreme-court-alito-recuse-flag-jan-6/

“Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. announced Wednesday that he will not recuse himself from Jan. 6-related cases at the Supreme Court after Democratic lawmakers questioned whether he could be impartial following reports that an upside-down flag flew at his home in the weeks after the attack on the U.S. Capitol in 2021.

“
In a letter to Democratic leaders in the House and Senate, Alito said that flag and a second, religious-themed flag were raised by his wife, without his knowledge, and the incidents do not meet the conditions for recusal outlined in the Supreme Court’s code of conduct.

“Alito disclosed for the first time that he was not aware of the upside-down flag until it was called to his attention and that his wife initially resisted taking it down.
“As soon as I saw it, I asked my wife to take it down, but for several days, she refused,” Alito wrote in the letter to Senators Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) and Dick Durbin (D-Ill.).”

Wow, this is a shocker. Guess he couldn’t take it down himself. He diminishes the Court as few in its history have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    None of the Trump sycophants will recuse themselves. Equal Justice Under Law indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Shameful

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    You must not be married.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys are such hypocrites.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
  6. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    Any evidence to back that up or are you just talking shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    ADS - Alito Derangement Syndrome

8. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He also lied about the reason the flag was flown upside down. He told FoxNews that it was in response to a spat with a neighbor; however, it turns out that spat didn't happen until weeks after the flag was flown upside down. It wasn't very believable to begin with, and presumably said to distance the significance from Jan 6th, but now proven false.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s sad to see once trusted institutions turn into this.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Perhaps they are simply revealing themselves to be what they always were

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I'll defer to others as to whether he should recuse himself, but anyone who thinks his wife just coincidentally flew THAT flag (of the literal millions to choose from) mere days after January 6 in connection with a neighborhood disagreement about the 2020 election because "she likes flags" must also think that Bill Clinton coincidentally ended up with Loretta Lynch on the tarmac in Pheonix to "talk about their grandkids".

Some things just don't pass the sniff taste on their face, and those are two of them. Our leaders and standard bearers must really believe that we are morons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What do you want Alito to recuse himself from and why?

Have you come out wanting Merchan to recuse himself? Because this guy is insane. Plus, he gave to the Biden campaign, and his daughter's company worked to raise money for Biden. Add that to the fact that Merchan hand-picked the jury and is allowing the jurors to choose ONE of the three predicate crimes. Mixing and matching crimes violates every principle of the Due Process Clause. You are not a serious or healthy person if you think this is okay.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  13. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find it interesting that the same people who in recent threads praised the intelligence and ability of women to make their own decisions and to not live under the thumb of a husband, now want to punish the husband for not intervening and exercising his authority over the woman.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    If Merchan is that bad you should be happy about what he's done. Because everything you wrote is reversible error if correct other than the donation part).

But I suspect it's you who is incorrect, and not Merchan.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would definitely praise her independence, holding different views from her husband, if I believed it was true. But every exercise of his official power seem to support that worldview.

Moreover, every Supreme Court spouse regardless of gender has to live by certain limitations, especially for a joint residence. Remember that the court is as close to a gender balance as it ever has been, although two of the female justices are unmarried

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. mikemcd810

Apr 3, 2007
    Judges can have political leanings. In fact, that's largely how they get appointed, including for the supreme court. This is not merely a political leaning by Alito (or his wife if we buy that). It's believing in a conspiracy theory that is not rooted in fact and was repeatedly disproven in court which we should expect a Supreme Court justice to respect.

Your other Merchan complaints are not accurate Jury selection was conducted the same as it is in any trial with both sides being able to strike jurors. FoxNews, thanks to Jonathan Turley, is also fanning the flames on the predicate crimes. The jury must UNANIMOUSLY agree that he falsified business records (which is what Trump was charged with), AND they have to UNANIMOUSLY agree that there was an underlying crime involved, they just don't have to agree on what that underlying crime was because at that point it doesn't matter since the jury would have unanimously agreed that Trump committed the crime in connection with an underlying crime.

Curious if you have the same feelings about Judge Cannon that you do about Merchan given that she was directly appointed by Trump and personally stands to benefit if Trump becomes President again?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Won't disagree with you here. It cuts both ways on the political spectrum, to be sure. There are lots of positions of power within government that have almost limitless immunity. "We the people" is a nice catchphrase.

18. mikemcd810

Apr 3, 2007
    We might believe him if he didn't vote in his position to take decisions away from women. As it stands, he's just gaslighting us. He's also already failed to tell the truth about this once, so should we believe that this is now the true story?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    So everything is a conspiracy and the only way your orange god gets a fair trial is at a maga rally? That is not how any of this works.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Really? Can you imagine some guy, any guy, sitting in prison and being asked why he was sent down, and he answers, “I have no idea and neither does the jury. They just said they believed that I was a criminal, but couldn’t agree on what crime I committed.” :eek:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2