Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ali Peek - Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Mikog8tor, Nov 14, 2023.

1. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    The portal is the biggest factor in rapid improvement IMHO.

For some reason the portal was not give much emphasis in year one and just a little bit more in year two.

I think the idea was to build by targeting incoming freshman. We now have a fair group of players with some experience but we have gaps and lack of depth which has killed us so far

It is my understanding that we are still building with younger players but now targeting the portal to try to win more quickly.

We got out maneuvered to some degree.

But basically we just chose a bad time to self destruct under Mullen. Our recruiting was not filling the gaps we needed to fill and tons of athletes hit the exits to the program.

A change had to be made. And, unfortunately that often takes time for the change to gain ground and stop the destruction and rebuild.

Anyone would have had a problem. At least anyone we would hire.

UF is not going to take outlaws like Kiffen and Freeze regardless of how many games they could potentially win.

I doubt that Kiffen would be a big success here. He would be too busy chasing young coeds like he did at Bama and is at Ole Miss.

That will not work with our present administration which prizes moral and competent people.

You may disagree.

I hope we can catch up because only good people like Billy are going to be hired at UF going forward.

We have made some mistakes (not me but the athletic and academic departments) and such deviations will not be allowed by the present administration or the board.

That is the way I see it anyway.

You can judge it for yourself.

I am speaking as an observer only.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    He did well but he burned out and lost some of the assistants that made him great. Specifically, Dan Mullen.

He had Tom Herman as OC at OSU. When Urban had a good or great OC he won. When he did not have won he did not fare as well.

A HC is usually only as good as his key assistants. Many of Urban's assistants went on to other good jobs!