Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Anzalone on Coach Napier

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jun 28, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’ll promise you there are several teams that would start him the following year and pay him quite handsomely. I don’t want to find out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Sorry, but this is where people lose me in a jaw-dropping manner. No one wants it come to this, but what exactly do you call three consecutive losing seasons if that happens? Because I call it both a meltdown and an unforgivable sin. No way should we tolerate a third variant of what we’ve seen to this point … much less five to seven of them like you just suggested. To channel Patrick Henry, “Forbid it, Almighty God!”

Yes, we know Coach Napier said he needed time in the beginning. Got it. But context is king. That was time to get competitive with Georgia again, not time to figure out how to beat Vandy, Arkansas, and Kentucky. In that sense, I think he has had all of the time he’s going to get. It’s time to start winning games.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I did not know he had turned down SEC offers.

Good point but if another mediocre season, which accomplished OC would want to join up, especially if they have to adhere to Napier's style of offense? Hoping Napier really lights it up this season.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yep, he turned down Auburn for one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    A contract is only as good as what is written in it. A "guaranteed" contract (outside of moral turpitude and force majeure clauses) is what all head coaches at this level get. That is why there is a buyout for those that are fired for under performing rather than for-cause.

Anyone can tell you verbally that they guarantee a certain amount of time, but no school would be so foolish as to put that in writing without contractual measures to remove an under performing coach. Even if there is some verbal time guarantee agreement, its only as good so long as the person giving it is still in a position to enforce it and has the will to do so.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 4:19 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I agree that the schedule is tough but, some of the teams we are facing may not be as strong as last year. Couple of new coaches and QB’ s on some of these teams and FSU lost a lot of players.
    I just wish the schedule wasn’t so heavy at the back end….AGAIN.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think if we were talking about some other subject (not football) I can see that point of view, and I would never dehumanize a poster that I disagree with about football, but pointing out the people that only like to disrupt other people's fair opinions about our football team, coaches and players with their consent negativity seem like fair game.

There are many fans and family members of players (Gator football team family members) and prospective players that read these free boards and they are most definitely tuning into the opinions on this site. The stakes are real and without dehumanizing the haters... the people that dissent all the time 24/7... we can and should point out these people that seem to post more than their fair share of negativity about our program. The Gator fans need to see that we know who they are. The families need to see that we are in control of the messaging and not the haters.

So... I can separate pointing out these haters without dehumanizing them. So can others here.

What I posted, about Anzalone's rational belief in Napier and what he's building in Gainesville, is the way I see it. He's building a real solid football program basically from scratch. However, he's made some mistakes, sure.. and I could have gotten much deeper in detail but I wanted to touch on the main positive points, and where our program is heading.

Napier will learn from his mistakes because he knows what's at stake. He will fix the special teams and he will shore up some of the on field coaching miscues and grow.

Several good coaches made on the field mistakes when they started out including Meyer chasing two point conversions in his early days... and let's not forget about Kirby's many on the field mistakes he made in his early days. I do see Napier as a thinking coach and one that will fix his errors in short order much like those two aforementioned coaches did.

So what does that leave us fans with? Some of those questions will be answered this coming season. I can't wait to see his efforts on the field, and it all starts with defeating Miami in Gainesville.

If you are a fan of Gator football you can at least agree that we should let the season play out before heaping more negativity on coach Napier.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 5:57 PM
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I can’t freaking believe we’re still having this same old worn out discussion that has no end. Why are all the “what ifs” always based on the premise of failure?
    I just don’t get this version of the Florida Gators fan base

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Tempers flare and sharp words can be exchanged. But the dehumanization thing is a bit much. IMHO, the "neg-spin" approach to anything that agitates or disappoints some posters is very human indeed. I personally believe that most "chronically negative" posters are genuinely frustrated Gator fans who occasionally make themselves and others miserable with their ruminations and unfulfilled expectations of near-term glory. It gets old for the more stoic among us, but so be it. Being a Gator isn't always easy and I've done some complaining in the last six decades myself. But most actual fans do exercise some self-restraint, thankfully, and that level of restraint likely has something to do with personal experience in the vagaries of UF FB over multiple decades. However, the small coterie of thinly disguised sneaks and saboteurs from places like Oxford, Coral Gables, Athens or Clown Town, who periodically grace us with their presence, richly deserve the confrontation/derision they receive in these pages. GG! Beat Miami!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Texas A&M and FSU could be top 10 teams or they could have five losses. It’s impossible to say at this point. That has to be taken into consideration when predicting our win loss total also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

If a chronically-negative person wants to bash our coach and whine to me about what is disappointing all of us at this point, I’ll listen and have a purposeful discussion with him/her. What I so strongly object to is publishing all their negativity, sarcasm, and attacks on our program in a public Internet forum of Gator fans.

All this public sarcasm and negativity and implication of hot seat for our coach who is trying to build stability is destructive to our recruiting efforts and team morale, and it’s purely self-serving. To deny the FACT that players, recruits, and their families read this message board is also self-serving. That’s what pisses me off and anybody who feels “dehumanized” by my rebuttals can either go find a safe place or crawl back to Tallahassee, Athens, or Miami.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I agree. There is no upside to freaking the hell out at every bend in the river and then yelling at the world about how awful we are. Whether a person actually believes a thing or not, some things are definitely best left unsaid...not that that is ever going to happen in Gator Nation.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If you think its intolerable now, don't log on 9/1/24 if we take an L the day before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    What bothers me the most? No matter what feel good thread is started..or good news is shared...someone has to post the same old negative stuff...over and over again..we get it, but prefer to optimistically look forward to 2024..not live in the past...
    Are we happy with the last 3 or 4 years..no, however why do some continue to beat that same negative drum over and over? Can't we wait till we see the team's performance on the field August 31 to see if there are improvements instead of rehashing the ST issues from last year for instance? Let's see if our defense steps up and if the new coaches are making a difference...let's see if Mertz and Lagway improve our offense.
    We will know more August 31...I will be there to welcome in our 2024 Gators!
    Go Gators!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 3:14 PM
    • Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Game threads are the worst

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I will be at the game so.....I won't be available:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    After my first wife was finally nudged into retirement from the entitled rant Olympics team, I came away prepared for pretty much anything in the way of irrational outbursts some time ago. But thanks for your concern. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Juvenile boys being contrary in a vain attempt to feel smart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yup. Differences of opinions are welcome here. Echo chambers are boring. But when someone's contribution to this thread is to scoff at the positive perspective from a former Gator great while taking yet another shot at Napier and saying "sounds like he is building a loser" then be prepared to be met with that same energy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    That’s so true. And as distasteful the thought of losing the opening game is, it should not be a death knell for our season if we lose. Lord knows I REALLY want that first game but, if we lose I know a few of our “fans” will be ready to throw in the towel. I will grieve, have an extra bourbon or two, go to bed hurting, then wake up and look forward to seeing Napier and crew right the ship.
    Incidentally, if we win, and I think we will, I will have an extra bourbon or two to celebrate so the alcohol intake won’t change either way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1