Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Anzalone on Coach Napier

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jun 28, 2024.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe his contract is 7 years so after this season four remain? Really need to throw an extension for an 8 win season with four remaining under contract?

Really?

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think it’s pretty standard though when a coach gets to his two year mark left on his contract, you either extend him or let him go. He can’t recruit without a contract buyout is next to nothing. But yes, I agree they should should’ve just fired Mullen, but it would look pretty strange.

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I didn’t realize he has a seven year contract, but he will never be at Florida for seven years for that price. He will either get fired or get a raise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    You cannot possibly believe this is true. There is just no way the stakeholders would tolerate a four-win season after the last two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Two or three even for sure.

6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Not quite sure what you mean based on the wording, but this is how I see the games breaking down:

Category 1: must-win games; losing either is a Kiffin-at-LAX-termination-level offense.
    - Samford at home
    - UCF at home
    Category 2: the games we should win; losing any of them probably means another losing season
    - Miami at home
    - aTm at home
    - Kentucky at home
    - Mississippi State on the road
    Category 3: games we should be competitive in; probably need at least one upset for a successful season
    - Tennessee on the road
    - LSU at home
    - Ole Miss at home
    - SWAC on the road
    Category 4: games we can probably chalk up as an expected loss; winning either would be a miraculous upset
    - Texas on the road
    - WLOCP

A four-win season would, therefore, mean we lost every Category 3 and 4 and at least half of the Category 2. I just don't see a future for this coaching staff if that happens. If we've truly improved since last season, then a four-win season should not be in the cards.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 8:06 PM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    He goes..DJ transfers out..and we would never have seen his at any meaningful playing time.

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    I've heard people assert that, usually those who already have a four-years-no-matter-what agenda. But I doubt any player is that loyal to a coach where they wouldn't see the need to let someone go after a four-win season, three losing seasons in a row. Even if it is true, though, I just don't think you could let the possible intentions of one player meaningfully influence a decision to fire a head coach or not. Either a guy has got it or he doesn't. I can't see any Athletic Director at any University making such a decision: "Yeah, I don't see a great future for my head football coach, but I need to keep him around for three more years just so one player doesn't transfer." I simply don't buy it. But let's not have a four-win season, so none of us have to find out.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 3:06 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The 2 games that we have been lax about lately, that we have to win is the HOME games of LSU and Kentucky. Beating Tennessee is common, but they will be hard to beat at home this coming year. Still winnable.

These are the games we should win: 6

Miami
    Samford
    UCF
    A&M
    MSU
    Kentucky

Games we need to win, tough games: 2

Tennessee
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    FSU

That leaves the most difficult games: ?

Texas
    UGA

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I see what you’re thinking but Miami, A&M , and Kentucky…. We may be underdogs there also meaning those would be upsets also.

11. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Was referencing this: Why Billy Napier's initial contract may have been an issue

Re Jax and recruiting. I would think the AD's job is to inspect what is expected. Given the situation with athlete's food program and recruiting while Mullen was here, leads me to question my perception of an AD's responsibility and Stricklin's handling of our program. Is Stricklin a gentleman, articulate and ... impressive? Who cares!!! I cannot accept that it got to that place with Mullen if our AD was doing his job.

12. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Nah. You have to believe our AD would bring in a guy that DJ and the team is happy with, a big name with impressive resume.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Everybody makes mistakes and correcting it going forward is the only thing you can really ask. Period. I do now remember the seven years and I would say any decent coach would demand that with the state of the program.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Big names don’t grow on trees and they’re definitely not forced to come into a situation they don’t want to be in.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    It doesn't matter. The point is, if a change had to be made, it needs to be someone who turns out to actually be good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    So? Where would he go that would guarantee he would be the starter?
    Napier or no Napier, DJL is QB1 for the Gators in 2025.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    There's a thought for the terminally impatient...I don't remember the last time someone hired a great coach at gunpoint.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Napier held out for an SEC program that needed him, wanted him, and would give him what he wanted. Time was a biggie. I wouldn't be surprised if he was guaranteed 5-7 years, barring a meltdown or unforgivable sin.

Remember, he will also get an additional year to bring on an accomplished OC if it comes to that.

With luck on our side, real staff improvements, hunger, confidence-building wins, young player breakthroughs and transfers panning out, 9 wins is not ridiculous. Still lacking depth, it could be a rough end of year though, if we have too much wear and tear on players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s the hope every time

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If I were Napier, it would be in my contract that I am guaranteed a certain amount of time or I would stay right where I was at. And as far as this gauntlet we’re about to have, it’s gonna be tough, even if these teams aren’t as good as some people think they’re gonna be. Gonna be a grueling season and we are going to have injuries as all teams do. Let’s just hope they aren’t crucial in injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1