Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Anzalone on Coach Napier

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jun 28, 2024.

1. gatorbait23

gatorbait23 Junior

Nov 10, 2017

I’m a what now? Come on, don’t be a puss. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hard to say at this point what considerable improvement would be IF a losing record. I suppose injuries and some really bad officiating could contribute to that. If only we could win 7 regular then a bowl. That to me would be solid improvement and really help his efforts recruiting.

3. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

This is a spot on assessment of the mechanics of the program as a whole. I think CBN has absolutely won the offseason

but this does not TOTALLY account for in game issues. Some of it was talent, some was assistant coaches but some of our miscues and lack of aggression, scheme, tempo, player usage, field usage etc is squarely on Billy. He has GOT to be better on gameday. And the 1st time it rears its ugly head or loses us a few games/ folks will be chastised for “being impatient and critical and needing time for Billy to develop”

we need to get cleared up the 2 different issues - off field (which he is crushing it fixing) on field (remains to be seen)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gainesvillegreen44

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

I think Billy has done an A+ job figuring some things out this offseason but yeah- ON gameday he’s gotta be better. There’s no doubt some of his coaching or emphasis on program building over scheme has lost is some games.
    I actually think we are going to be sneaky good this year- like 8 or 9 wins good
    I think he’s here another 2-3 years unless we go like 2-10… I think he’s been promised 5 years to build it… so I don’t think it matters what ppl think about what should happen at the end of year 3 anyway.
    What are we all agreeing on as progress though? 7 wins? 6 and a bowl? Wins over rivals? Not losing to UK or UCF? What is the measuring stick? Because I’d like to know when we as fans are allowed to be critical? It’s been the same rift for the past 3 coaches. Half fans want them gone. Half of them call the other half bad gators and then pretend they wanted him fired after he’s gone lol.
    I wanna enjoy this season so I’d like to hear a consensus from the board on when we criticize?

• Like Like x 1
  5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Don't act like one?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He’s right you know

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Hope so. That would be great.

8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think you should do some homework and consult the SEC leaders on defense, check our schedule and their schedules, and the points we scored on them compared to other teams on their schedule and get back with us. Hint: we were among the highest scorers against each of the defensive leaders in the SEC on our schedule.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Come on, don’t be a douche

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I looked at the schedule that was posted above and I see about 6 wins and that's with the mindset of how good we were last year, just minus the head-scratching, bone-headed, stupid mistakes we saw. If we take some strides forward, based on numerous insider reports a clear possibility, we are definitely capable of one or two more wins so 7 or 8 seems doable.
    I'm hoping we can win the first 5, then the 6th is at TN. They're good and they want revenge at home. I'm hoping but we probably lose that one. After that we scratch and claw our way to 2 - 4 the rest of the way. That spells about 7 or 8 wins.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 4:33 PM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    A stat that I find very meaningful is that of the first 7 opponents, the 6 who are P4 opponents do not have a returning full time starter at qb and 2 have a new coach. However, brutal the schedule may look, we are meeting those teams at the right time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the offense picks it up some this year. Last year we still a rebuilding year on offense and defense.

13. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's see how much more overall experience our team shows this year versus last year. We made upgrades in the offseason in talent... the depth... the coaches. All of that bodes well for our team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I have to agree with some of this, and it's still a work in progress. But you can't have some of that without the depth that you need to keep every position unit on the field fresh. This will be the first year that Napier will be close to set at every position, although I would like 2 more superstars on the receiving corp, but we have enough to get closer to where we need to be.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gainesvillegreen44

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

You may get your wish/ I think there’s a chance Tank, Mizell and Badger do some special things in addition to solid Jackson, Dike, Burke and that will take pressure off Tre

we gotta open it up and have more tempo though. The team feeds off the rythym

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm glad you mentioned Jackson, too many people are overlooking him for the new guys. He might not start but he will see plenty of playing time.

But I do like the receiving corp as a whole. I can't wait to see who besides Wilson steps up this year. We should be at least 2 deep in talent... That would be something special. I won't presume to put them in order at this time. But we have at least 6 (some you mentioned) talented receivers that will make up a great corp of receivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    [​IMG]

So edgy douche

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't plan to judge this season on W/L straight up. It might wind up an historically tough schedule.

As a thought experiment: imagine we only get 6 wins, but have 3 losses by 1 point to teams that finish in the top 7. And along the way, we look like an actual football team.

As someone taking the long view vs. win-now, I'll take it, and feel like Year 4 could be lining up nicely.

I'd absolutely take that over rolling the dice on another coach and likely AD change.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Yes, we have plenty of talent, experience and depth in the wide receiver and TE room.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    That's the best "low-bar" expectation one could have for this upcoming season. I like setting myself up for a disappointing outing this coming season by ridiculously over estimating our wins. Lol... I think 8 wins is very doable.

• Like Like x 2