Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alabama mayor/pastor kills himself after secret life as transgender curvy girl exposed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Nov 6, 2023.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Correct, to assume he did or to assume he didn't...it's still an assumption. My life experiences tell me that such a thing would typically be considered a betrayal, but sure, it's an opinion either way.

Of course, I never said such a thing. It's also a stretch to suggest the opinion of the "entire community" had anything to do with him committing suicide. It wouldn't take the entire community for this guy to have experienced the shame he may have felt.

...and sharing nude photos.

And would his wife have a right to be upset or would she just be a bigot? Not sure why you are mentioning the community at large; we have no reason to believe the "community at large" is relevant here.

Thank you.

That's a lofty assumption. Was it a member of the church that outed him? Is Jeff Poor (1819 News) a member of that church?

I think the main difference in how people perceive this issue is some folks see the existence of blame as a fault of those who saw the behavior as wrong whereas others see the existence of blame as a fault of the man that committed the act.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

2. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You're a hero. :rolleyes:

You'd likely be the first person to scream if someone posted an article about a transgender commiting an unsavory act.
    (Claiming it was an unnecessary part of the story.)... But "pastor"... That got you excited I'm sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tilly

Sorta like some of the posters on your "side" and religion right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tilly

I think @BLING misread your word "congregation" as "community" that is the only explanation for him saying that you used the word.

6. tilly

You're missing the point. You cant really claim your thread (about a "transgender" that cites a news report calling him "transgender") isn't about transgenders.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Defensive much?

Your take is an odd one, because the OP obviously didn’t post this story to shame the pastor. On the other hand the forces that outed him and shamed him in the last days of his life obviously DID have that intent - even if they couldn’t have anticipated they’d push him to suicide.

From the quotes sounds like even some of his peers/parishioners were disgusted by that newspaper and some of the harassing social media activity. No way to know what his overall congregation thinks or how many were involved. But if I were a church member I’d want to get to the bottom of that. How could these people sit in prayer together knowing what happened and that some sitting in the pews next to them maybe had an antagonistic role in this death?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    So is heterosexism, it's all produced in our brains. He died not because he was transgender, but because of the fact he felt differently than the world looked at him. His congregants, his neighbors, family..... it killed him to go through being outed. Most likely, he couldn't face the fallout. The reason many trans kids have one of the highest rates of suicide. Suicidality Among Transgender Youth: Elucidating the Role of Interpersonal Risk Factors - PubMed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    They kill themselves at crazy high rates even when they're supported and applauded for... taking the plunge, and will continue, if folks like you and the feel good GOS Left continue to deny it is a mental illness.

"Just pretend it's all groovy...n ebrytin gonna be iree mon..."

:monkey:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    We are all ignorant when it comes to different subjects, I know I am. This is one I am not. I'm not sure where you got the idea that they are applauded and supported. Do they have their inner circles they seek out to get support? Yes, but the public in general does NOT support nor do they applaud these kids. So you can cut that out right now. Just what you typed about them being mentally ill tells me everything I need to know. Our brains are pre programed for sexuality, so they, just like gay people, are physiologically made that way. 82% think about suicide because they are NOT supported. Families throw them out of the house, schools shame them, friends disappear. Good grief.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Are cross dressers even considered transgenders?

12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I think this was more of a rhetorical question based on the title, but I will give it a shot anyway. They're different things. Ru Paul performs in drag, but he is not transgender. I suppose both cisgender and transgender people alike can choose to cross dress, although I doubt many trans people do that since cross-dressing would mean presenting in a way consistent with their biological sex as opposed to their gender identity.

13. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I’m going to post this here knowing full well that the people that need to watch it, won’t.

Charlie Desi on TikTok

14. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I watched it; I don't agree with his perspective, but I understand why it exists. I think he's projecting a bit (I suppose we all are to some extent). But he loses me with the attitude. I wonder if he applies this comment to himself or only directs it to people he disagrees with:

"keep your mouth shut, if you don't agree with it, nobody cares."

That's part of the problem in my view. There's a lack of a desire to share your ideas *and receive challenges or even criticism to those ideas.* One of the things I love about boards like this is, at its best, it's a place where ideas can be logically challenged and responded to.

At a church, if your behavior and values aren't accepted you generally have two choices: modify them or find another church (or other place of worship). There doesn't need to be any conflict beyond that; we can coexist with different belief systems provided that we are willing to stay in our lanes. All I mean by that is respecting the right to exist in the lane that we choose to be in (or find ourselves in or however you want to word it). That doesn't mean we can't hear others telling us our lanes are *wrong,* but we can't be hypocritical with whether or not we are willing to tell others they are wrong if we're not willing to allow them to tell us they are wrong as well.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I'd rather here from both sides of the fence than just from one side of the fence. Just my two bits.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

15. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    How can you disagree with someone else’s perspective? Maybe he’s had to deal with people “disagreeing” with his perspective his entire adult life?

I guess the eternal question is why can’t people mind their own business and “love thy neighbor?”

16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree with his perspective on the incident which led to this thread; I disagree with who is at fault here; I disagree with the lack of acknowledgment of the deception involved and how *that* is (in my opinion) what likely led to an intense level of shame. I think deception is a huge factor here; the guy you posted doesn't mention that at all. Obviously others disagree with my take, and that's fine, but you asked me how I disagreed...hopefully that makes it more clear.

How can you have a church where everybody minds their own business? And loving your neighbor sometimes means telling them something they don't want to hear but that they need to hear. Consider this; who's closer to you, those who are honest with you or those who only tell you what you want to hear? The last thing we want to do is mistake love with "just be nice." "Just be nice" is the way we deal with strangers and acquaintances. Love involves things like discipline and sacrifice as well. If you genuinely care for somebody, it's not all roses and sunshine.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Interesting. Show me an example of me doing such a thing in the past.

18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Technically it’s not about transgenders, it’s about a pastor with a secret cross dressing fetish who offed himself because his ignorant congregation wouldn’t approve.

19. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I think you may not completely UNDERSTAND where he’s coming from and that’s okay.

In addition, who are YOU (not you personally) to tell people what they don’t want to hear? A whole lot of folks think that THEY speak for God and I think that they’re going to be in for a big surprise when the time comes.

20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    They're applauded in New Orleans, Key West, Miami, San Francisco, NYC, and sundry other places, today of course, more than ever b4. Just in the good ol cowboy US of A, to say nothing of our enlightened progressive cousins across the pond--especially gay Par'ee and London. And Milan. Among others.

...and they still suicide well beyond their numbers.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1