Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ahmad Black after the LSU game.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 16, 2022.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    the offense is doing pretty well. The recruiting is going pretty well. The defense on 1st and 2nd down has ok.

• Like Like x 1
  2. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Adding 20 blue chips this year will help. Adding 24 blue chips next year will help.

It’s all about recruiting…..and he’s nailing it so far. Our DB coach is legendary but our DBs suck. Our D line coach is really good but our D line sucks. Just Let Billy cook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That may be true, but there is NO excuse for blown coverages by our Safeties. We have one player that is out of position, he actually played well at corner-back in his freshman year, and he has since steadily digressed as a player ever since then. He is NOT and should NOT be playing Safety for us.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If anyone has a legitimate question as to Napier's process (even though we STILL don't know what are all the moving parts), it is the continued key use of Dean as safety. And to his defense, I think we can at least say that there is a HUGE difference between game weeks and bye weeks. Especially when they come after Game 7. I expect to see a LOT of personnel changes/roles forthcoming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Sifting through coaching staffs every three years? Head coaches since 2000:

Georgia: 3
    Alabama: 4
    Auburn: 4
    LSU: 4
    Mizzou: 4
    USCe: 4
    Kentucky: 5
    Miss State: 5
    Texas A&M: 5
    Arkansas: 6
    Ole Miss: 6
    Tennessee: 6
    Vandy: 6
    Florida: 7

The only other major team I can find that changed out so much is Miami. I don't believe in settling for "mediocrity," but I have to wonder if we have a hair trigger on the patience pistol...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

I will say that living in the Carolinas there was a LOT of grumbling about Dabo even several years after he was HC at Clemson. Giving up 70 points in he orange bowl put him on te hot seat with the nuclear option setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I assume that includes Spurrier who left the next year?

Still we don’t show much patience, or wisdom in hiring.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I believe we do to a degree but to be fair those #'s are a little skewed for a couple reasons as SOS left after a long tenure here so counting him for the 2 seasons he coached in the selected time range (2000 - present) is misleading. Other reasons also led to earlier then desired departures like Urbans abrupt departure when he left on his own accord, and then you got things like the "Death threats" with coach Mac which I feel completely exasperated the issues in his tenure and therefor expedited his exit sooner then it may have been if he never mentioned it publicly. But otherwise it's a little quick but also the writing was on the wall for some. And like the saying goes "why put off till tomorrow what you can do today". Let's see what they give CBN to work with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Until you realize that several other teams also had a coach for one or two years.

Is the pressure of being Florida's head coach a part of this? Even SOS got burned out, and when Danny Snyder waved $25M in front of his face, he saw an opportunity. Does anyone believe Mullen gave it his all his last year? I wonder if Megan Mullen had to shop at the Publix in Orlando again?

As it is for all teams.

Totally agree. He needs to build his own team.

Right now we are going through growing pains.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  10. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    The OP post was about us potentially being "trigger happy" and fire coaches too quickly. So my point still stands. Including SOS in those 7 coaches is misleading g because we didn't pull the trigger too quickly or at all with SOS. And there was nothing quick about his decade worth of tenure. We also didn't pull the trigger with Meyer as he too left on his own accord. So again including coaches that we didn't fire to try to establish a trend of firing coaches too quickly makes us look worse then it is. Zook, champ, Mac and Mullen are the only fired coaches in that time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Half the teams in the SEC had coaches for a decent time in the 1990s, only to leave in 2000/2001. It applies to all.

I remember when he left. "I guess winning ten games is not good enough for the University of Florida." "Nah, I think 12 years is enough time at a school." Several fans blamed SOS's relationship with Foley for not backing him when Darnell Dockett twisted Earnest Graham's knee and tried to stomp on Grossman's hand.

Me, I believed there were $25,000,000 reasons why SOS left Florida. He was the highest paid coach in the NFL without coaching a down in the NFL.

So why did he leave again?

So one coach wanted to leave for the NFL, four coaches were fired, and one left because of "heart problems," presumably brought on by stress.

Florida is among the biggest pressure cookers in CFB.

12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yep, and they were already in the downward spiral with their previous coaches. They weren't quite as "expecting" as some of our fans are. Or at least some of the more vocal ones. They had "UGa-esque" patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And funny thing is Zook is the only one that didn't at least get us to ATL.
    Champ did once
    Mac did twice
    Mullen did once

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    [
    Yeah the only ones that didn't get fired quit but they also won us our only Nattys. The 4 fired coaches were nothing more than the victim of their predecessors own success. SOS created a shadow so big Zook was never gonna shine, and Meyer's shoes have been too big to fill up to this point and left the 3 succeeding coaches to fight a uphill battle of expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  15. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Except muschamp never did

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    Yeah, 2012 was a good year even if he didn't go to ATL he still shared the east title and went to the sugar bowl. That was a good year.

17. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What about Urban Meyer? He had a less-than-stellar 9-win first season before winning a title in Year 2. He had quite a bit of talent (especially from the 2003 class), but was following a coach (Zook) who was popular with his players, and he was bringing in new systems and ways of doing things. Meyer ran off 11 players before he coached his first game at Florida, because they wouldn't get with the program. That's very common. Everyone has to learn a new playbook and a new vocabulary for how the coaches describe things, and everyone has to do things the way the new coach wants it. Even Heisman candidate Rex Grossman did not want to do what Zook's coaching staff wanted (calling audibles frequently). Struggling the first year is not that uncommon, unless the coach was on staff as a coordinator with the team when the previous coach left (like Miami in 2001 with Larry Coker).

I am willing to give Napier a pass for this year because recruiting has not been that great in recent years. It will take a couple of years of good recruiting before we start competing for SEC titles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I’m not going to sit here and say I’m okay with not winning every single game, because that’s what I want! Having said that, I also understand what BN walked into and it’s not getting fixed overnight. I was disappointed after the Kentucky game but still optimistic about the remainder of the year. Didn’t expect to win in Neyland but was happy with the effort. LSU was a huge letdown. How can the defense look so bad against an average team? BN needs to make some tough decisions on that side of the ball.

19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Exactly how does all that relate to my post?
    I'm not criticizing Napier for his current record. I'm simply saying a comparison to Saban is irrelevant and a mediocre first season is no indicator
    of future success.
    Same could be said of a comparison to Meyer, tho yours is the first one I've seen and Meyer also had a better resume coming in.

20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Save the nonsense. Again, I haven't said any of that. I'm fine with waiting on Napier's results. It's not like there is another option anyway.
    Just don't try BS ing me with the Saban comparisons. If those comparisons make u feel better, cool.