Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A unifying moment

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by garettk, Sep 14, 2024 at 10:53 PM.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bateman had a superior dline at his disposal. Scheme? I doubt it, just better players. The team that wins the los almost always wins the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They both had the same players. Looks like Bateman is just coaching a superior line to me.

3. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    2 national searches would be difficult

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    But absolutely necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Grantham wasn't as bad as what we have now, and what we now have isn't Grantham's fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Man, I don’t know about that. What’s worse, pulling out all your fingernails, or being poked in the eye with a stick? That’s a tough one

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Kiffin's record at USC was 28-15 (.651). He "bombed" because like Zook, he was replacing a legend. His coaching at USC was far better than Billy's at Florida.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Why? Other coaches took over mediocre offenses and defenses and turned them around within a year or two. Remember McElwain to Mullen? Billy's defenses actually got worse. In 2019, the Cincinnati Bengals wanted to hire him as their DC. Saban hired him as an analyst, and now the Saints have him as their DL coach. He is well respected in coaching circles.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I think I was trying to inject a tiny amount of humor there

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gatorsteve_1967

gatorsteve_1967 Junior

Nov 12, 2023
    Hollywood, FL
    "let the chips fall where they may"---includes not just what happens on the field the rest of the season but also includes the all-important future recruiting classes and the consequences with the transfer portal---something to keep in mind when deciding the timing of Billy's firing...

11. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Well played, then! But like fans everywhere, many coaches are considered horrible, no matter what they did. The closest example was Ed Zaunbrecher, Zook's first OC. It seemed as though every other pass play was a bubble screen. It was so bad, posters would post pics of a kitten, saying, "This kitten died because of a bubble screen." But having looked at the 2002 games on tape, Zaun averaged about 3 to 4 bubble screens a game. What he did not do is (wait for it), have the ball thrown long downfield, as Spurrier would have done. When we did so, it was often picked off, as oppopnents covered Taylor Jacobs like a blanket (or Mrs. Fisher, if you prefer :D)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I don't get this.

So many calling for yet another front loaded contract incentivising failure (what it would take to get Kiffin).

More than idiot losers, it's these @#$%&n contracts that yield exactly what they're designed to yield--failure--that is THE problem.

Hire some hungry buck with an incentive laden back end contract (e.g., 100k per win up to 5, then plus 250k per win, with a doubling bonus per win v ranked oppt, triple v top 10, 5x win v top 5, plus margin of victory bonus, get to PO bonus, wins in PO bonus, natty super bonus...)...

Perhaps a performance based bonus equity sharing plan for the players, processed through NIL...

I'm over us making double digit multi-millaires out of losers (who thereby make clowns of us...)

Throw another truck load of bank at monty's kid....who's to say he doesn't get fat n lazy like the last 4 @#"&'n db's we did that very same thing for????

I'd rather take chances with actual Gators, with back end incentive laden contracts, than continue to get played for fools by idiot, dishonorable mercenary @#$%&n punk asses, punking our asses.

Short list--Kerwin bell, GA Mangus, Gene Shizik... Hell, talk to Tebow, Wuerfel, Emmitt b4 some other non Gator schiester in waiting...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 1:30 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I knew I could convince everyone.

14. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I knew last year, when the product on the field mirrored the prior year Napier wasn't guy. While I dont feel Napier tried to dupe the fan base, I do feel Napier went out of his way to keep the fan base from knowing what was going on behind the scene. He couldn't however run away from the Saturday's in the fall. I dont believe there's a talent deficency, I beliieve there is and always was a coach not up to the task of being the complete head coach for the Florida Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    When announcer stated early yesterday how bad A&M’s third down conversion percentage was on the year, I said outloud: “just hold tight that’s about to change!”

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Why isn't anyone calling out our child-DC? His defense is wholly ineffective, and has no hope of ever being even average. When an opposing QB scrambles, or even just rolls out, there is ALWAYS at least on wide open target to release the pressure (and usually multiple open receivers). This kid is in over his head. Fire him today and put Ron Roberts in charge for the moment. I know it's the same defense, but, maybe Roberts knows how to run it since he basically created it. That needs to be done now even before the new head coach gets here, because that won't happen before the end of the season, even if we fire Napier today.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 2:01 PM
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah me too. That and when they said A&M had lost 10 consecutive road games

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Sark completely bombed at USC too. They both got rehabbed at Saban’s and have turned their careers around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    It’s the current state of the college coaching landscape. You’re not going to get anyone to come here with an incentive laden contract with no guarantees. They all pretty much have agents that know what they are doing and the schools get the shaft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Right now we have a bad offensive coach who can't coach defense much less spell it. He's not even good at the the thing he's directly responsible for during games, play calling. I truly wanted it all to work for Billy. He seems like a good guy, but having said that, when I saw what I saw against Miami after all we had heard about this being his deepest and best team I felt more disheartened than I ever have about the Gators. The 0-10-1 team in 1979 would beat the shit out of this team just on want to. This team looks undisciplined, untalented, and worst of all, uninspired. From the absolute very beginning of the Miami game I could clearly see that we were lied to about the potential of this team. And they've played right down to my expectations from that point. They play like they just had their nails done.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 3:11 PM
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1