Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A Mike Farrell Sports Columnist Said Gators would be better off if Dan Mullen was still here

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by PlantationGator, Dec 22, 2023.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    We probably will never know. Was 10 wins Mullen’s ceiling? I hope so but suspect not. Is six wins Napier’s ceiling? I hope not but suspect so.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    While I agree, I think he has built infrastructure that I don't think Mullen would have. Does the next coach keep much of it, trash it, I don't know. As long as the team doesn't have a Mullen esque collapse, Napier is getting a 4th year given that schedule is my guess. Id still rather us have moved on from Mullen when we did.

3. stirtloe

stirtloe Junior

Mar 15, 2010
    I will concede that Mullen was a good play caller. I can also imagine a world in which NIL money improves his craptastic recruiting. But Dan Mullen was incapable of putting the best players on the field and the best coaches on the sideline. Still more damning, Dan Mullen quit on the program, tried to leave, then tried to just coast until he could ride away on his golden parachute. Now he has the effing nerve to throw darts at his successor from a safe distance. That dude can take a long walk off a short pier. Napier may or may not suck, but I do NOT expect him to quit.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Like I’ve said, Mullen is gone, and we can’t undo what was done even if we wanted to. But the quotation above, I haven’t seen any evidence of that. I was frustrated with Mullen’s recruiting and his failure to fire Grantham’s dumb ass after the 2020 season. But I’m beginning to think we just tell ourselves the rest — about him quiet quitting, about him having the illusion of NFL hopes — to feel good about firing him. If Napier were getting it done, then we would’ve have to make up stories to justify hiring him.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    Would Florida have more wins over past 2 years- prolly. Would we be better off in 5 years… prolly not. If Napiers plan works- we are a perennial power. If it doesn’t, we blow it up after next year and the next coach has more talent, better infrastructure etc

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    I keep hearing he has built infrastructure now... Offense, Defense and Special teams have been bad, terrible and beyond belief bad respectively. Coaching...well its been bad too..across the board. Not sure which coaches have overperformed with what we saw this year. If he doesnt cut it next year I doubt any of his infrastructure is kept of staff for the next hire. Recruiting hasnt been any better than the last 3 coaches either in rankings. Building infrastructure to me means...the defense has got a bunch better during the year...the offense better or the ST better...the win total is heading in the right direction, the coach and team are winning games against better opponents or we are defeating our rivals. Hell Id just settle for better S&C and seeing our guys not get pushed around once in a while. Unfortunately I ddint see any of that...

7. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    We are better off without Mullen (yes, a great offensive mind who can do Xs and Os).

8. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    We had 1 DL recruit one year from Mullens class in a year where we needed to load up on them. We had to shift an OL to defense if I recall. Bottom line is recruiting rankings are just numbers. You can recruit 28 of the top WRs in the class and nobody else and get a #1 rated recruiting class. But did that really benefit your team at all? NOPE!!! This is what Mullen did, he recruited by quantity (lottttts of 3 stars) and of positions we didn’t need as much as we needed in other positions.

What’s the 4-5 star ratio on positions? DE, WR, RB, QB, DB seem to be big star positions where as LB, OL, TE have very few 5* or high 4*. These things matter.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    How so? His recruiting was so bad half didn't qualify, and the other half weren't good enough to earn playing time. He wouldn't fire his friends when it was obvious they were the laughing stock of the country. But tbf you're a Sanders groupie so your taste in HC's is..... questionable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    How many QBs has Napier put in the league?

11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    One

12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Mullen's ceiling is"tEn tImEs hIGheR"

Proceeds to lose games to inferior opponents like aTm, LSU, Kentucky etc with guys like Trask, Pitts, Pierce, etc on the roster.

Ran a roster into the ground and yet despite said ceiling finished with a losing record with his own recruits.

Mullen fans gonna keep Mullen fanning...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Almost like the league thought several of Mullens qb were raw talent but poorly developed. The whisperer stuff was nonsense.

It’s the holiday season and you are lonely, but don’t text your ex. Rules to live by. I’m sure an NFL will be scooping up his genius any time.

14. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    So, basically you don’t know what infrastructure means.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I wonder what the history of the program would have been if we had given the Zooker another season?

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    ESPN ran a projection on that once. The scenario involved Zook winning the Swindle in 2003 and having sufficient grace to make to the 2006 season before getting fired. ESPN projected that we would have hired Saban instead of Alabama. Tell you what. The two extra mediocre years under Zook would have been worth it.

17. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    You have me wrong. I’m not a fan of Mullen, but he is by far superior to Napier. That’s how far Florida football has fallen. Mullen actually has a winning record against SEC opponents over the span of 10+ seasons as a head coach. Napier is 6-10 and will be extremely lucky to finish 3-5 again next year. Mullen has won SEC coach of the year and a division title. His ceiling is clearly way above Napier’s. How many more recruits and key players have to bail for you to come to grips with reality?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You can’t win if you don’t run the program.

19. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Poppycock, Foley would have never hired Saban, his MO was always up and comer coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Obviously ESPN has little to no understanding of the difference between UF and UA. This wouldn't have even been a close decision between the two entities for Saban.