Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

5* CB Desmond Ricks down to UF, LSU, and Bama. Commitment date 12/23/22

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Oct 22, 2022.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’m losing interest honestly

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I started off just clarifying the post he was questioning but The point is he's blaming the wrong people is he not? Or are we now to the point where we think the Coach pays the recruits. Maybe/ maybe not but I personally can't imagine anyone more disappointed on missing out on an elite recruit then the Coach that's out there busting his ass kissing some ass just to land the commitment of a 17 yr old. With soooo many factors at play how can we just say it because we won't or don't pony up the dough? We reportedly were set to give Cormani 2 mil. That's a lot of money for a talented 17 year old kid whose biggest accomplishment to date is getting ranked in the top 5 of recruiting services. If its what is being reported about up front payments prior to signing then how can we be mad UF won't engage in that seeing as it was laid out clearly that it is illegal. I'm just saying man, we are literally 8 games into the 1st season of a whole new regime with a Coach whom came in and said in advance this will be a slow process.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    And also man looking at aTm meltdown , they just signed the best class ever, with the most 5 stars ever signed in one class, and here they are in a fight just to become bowl eligible. And that's with a Coach in his 5th season w/team who just happens to be one of only 5 active head coaches to have won a Natty. Gotta think maybe just throwing money around won't always fix what's wrong with a team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    And jimbos a better coach than MC

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    A bit but more so because we haven’t been good. If we could kick the crap out of our rivals it would definitely help my interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If all the people running their mouth just gave 20 bucks apiece every month we would be loaded

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Im not saying throwing money around at every high end kid IS the way to go. What im saying is that at some point, SOMBODY has to realize that we’ve been beaten on the trail so far for EVERY high end kid (sans Kamari Wilson last cycle) this cycle and as much as you dont want to engage in that tactic, gonna have to accept that if what’s happening is legal now, nothing illegal with overpaying for kids, then you’re going to have to bite that bullet eventually because you’re going to miss WAAAAAY more on those kids than you get.

8. ddrew91

ddrew91 All American

Dec 14, 2020
    Looks to me like CBN is betting on himself and his philosophy on program building. And hoping that these kids get bit on the other side and realizing a little less money to come to a more stable program will be the way to go down the road. He’s playing the long game. And the others are playing the instant gratification game. I’m okay with what he’s doing. It may or may not work out. But we won’t find out for a couple years

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ddrew91

ddrew91 All American

Dec 14, 2020
    You have to realize that the pay for play hasn’t come back to bite anyone yet. It’s inevitable that some kid that was promised money is going to get shit on. Or vise versa. A kid will get paid and shit on the university.

slow and steady wins the race.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    and whether we like it or not, he will be given time to see it through and im 10000000% ok with that. I overvalued the current roster in thinking they could flim flam their way into a 9+ win season (still may be able to) and i think since it has been some of the same faults on the field that we have seen in recent years (some times by the same players), it just makes folks like myself frustrated at times. Im patient though as far as giving him 4 years to turn it around.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. ddrew91

ddrew91 All American

Dec 14, 2020
    Believe me. I understand the frustration with that. And i guess we’ll never know the nitty gritty about why the staff has stuck with certain players. And while i thought they COULD win 9 games. This year never really mattered except for CBN building his foundation… honestly my biggest concern for this team is AR and his lack of fire and leadership. I don’t think we can move forward with him next year. Unless we want more of the same

• Like Like x 2
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep but not to get off topic, Ricks becomes a bigger priority now with us not being able to secure McClain's committment. I also heard that Ja'Keem may be visiting Miami for their game against FSU this weekend and if that's true, even if he's in convo with them and doesn't go, it's still something to monitor with ESD next month. Got to hold on to him.

I hope that we can nab Ricks though. Not sure how we'll be able to overcome Bama and LSU with this one, but this IS big boy recruiting and we're in it for his services so let's see how this plays out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ddrew91

ddrew91 All American

Dec 14, 2020
    I agree. CBN first test to see if he can hold everything down

14. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    I think Rick's reclassifying may just actually help us. he can still now go to a school and be the big dog recruit and that can still happen in Florida the other schools have already secured big dogs at their positions. We can hope

15. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    This^

16. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    If we throw 2 mil at him will Miami still throw 5? Again? (The number slight be off as nobody truly knows but you get the point)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ddrew91

ddrew91 All American

Dec 14, 2020
    Yea. I say make Ruiz spend as much money as possible. But just keep doing what we’re doing

• Like Like x 3
  18. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    . But we don't know yet if buying your team if the way to go. aTm hasn't shown me nothing that bolsters that thinking ad they are about to have the worst season in recent A&M memory. I remember when Miami 2/3 cycles got all those "elite" players. Those multiple 5 stars, including Taylor and the other palmetto kids. They have yet to do any thing, and I can't say this class will make a difference for them either if we are to take A&Ms product this year into account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No doubt that spending the money doesn't guarantee results. I have to believe that these agreements are based on the presumption the player has to be top one or two on the depth chart. Think of the pay roll a team would have to sustain if they recruit two high four stars per position each cycle and nothing is required other than participation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    is A&M and Miami the only examples everyone is going to use? Texas spent a bag on their last class and while they have 3 L’s this year, two of those were without Ewers at QB who was out with an injury.

and also can we just recognize everyone always use to say UGA and Kirby was underachieving with all that talent and then look at what happened last season? It can work both ways

• Agree Agree x 2