Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2025 roster projection

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jdgator, Apr 9, 2024.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm afraid the Wilson we saw in Omaha is the real Wilson....I'm not penciling him into the lineup until there is sustained performance in the fall. As the roster stands now Nadeau almost has to be the 3b, 1b could be a lot of different possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Also rumors floating around that Boser from USF could be next transfer. I could also see Donay/Heyman at 1B. I agree re Wilson overachieving. I think the Lawson kid from Canada is gonna to get a lot of looks at 3B as well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Boser would be the perfect pickup. He seemed hellbent on MLB but maybe reality hits home a little bit

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Boser's stats are pretty nifty, and a guy who can credibly play second base, shortstop, third would be a really nice fit.

Did break his hamate bone last year, which is always a dangerous injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's the yin and the yang I take from the MLB draft....
    It's amazing Sully took this team all the way to the Final 4 with only 3 drafted players.
    It's amazing Sully and his staff only developed 3 drafted players from this team.

It's not an outright ding on Sully because so much development is outside of college these days but it's a wonder where our talent went. At the same time, credit is due for Sully piecing together what he did at the end of it all.

Side note, really hope we get Boser because he can fit in so many places and contributes in so many ways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree completely. Many of us said at the beginning of the year we were extremely weak by SEC comparisons in the OF, 3B and def at C. Pitching we felt we were short at least a starter and depth. Add in the down seasons by Kurland, Heyman, Fisher and other P and one can see how much we overachieved. I also believe Cags single handily brought us at least 8-10 wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah he missed almost 1/2 the season with the hamate injury but he should be fine by the fall.

Boser has taken several visits but is waiting for the draft before making a decision. The kid can play anywhere and after a big summer in the Cape last year, hit nearly .300 with 12 HRs in just 30 games. If thr pro ball option doesn’t work out (and it still could) he’s back to school. Arkansas was a school you heard early but there is definitely UF smoke now so we’ll see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

Good points throughout your post. My thoughts pretty much remain the same with this year’s (or any year’s) draft.

It’s as much about signability and slot money agreements as it is about
    development of players and talent. Each organization is going to put their own brand of development on players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good points. We would have never thought Kurland and Heyman would not progress. I think that was a big part of our struggle. If Kurland is going to be a top of the order guy, he will have to make contact. Cannot achieve at high levels with lead off guy being one of the higher strikeout guys in the league. Gotta shorten up.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think we need a little asterisk as well.....5 guys were drafted, Evans is a quality player who got hurt, Coppola is a drafted guy if he continues his comeback uninjured, and while Heyman was draft eligible he is only a soph. And of course several guys not draft eligible.
    think this final 4 team will have a lot of guys eventually drafted (Peterson, Clemente, Coppola, Yost, Heyman, McNeilie, Rodriguez, Philpott, etc....maybe Kurland, Evans, Donay). Everyone pretty much agreed this was a bit of an odd roster season.....high ceiling/low floor and that's exactly the way it played out.

• Like Like x 2
  12. biggerigator15

biggerigator15 VIP Member

Apr 14, 2024
    alot of rumors flying around we should be getting some good news later this week also..maybe the kid from USF..maybe a pitcher?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't worry too much about players leaving that are drafted after the round 10. Sure it happens and teams can make them a big offer if they lose any of their top 10 picks. That said when I posted we only had 3 that had been drafted so I wasn't adding any further names to the post. I get your point that teams are made up of guys from more than one class but I was taking the view that we usually get many players drafted early every year, but not as many this year. And yes we can agree it was an odd roster with plenty of young pitchers and several guys that under preformed during the regular season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ross is going to be one we sweat out until the August 1 signing deadline. Think Lawson shows up but there is definitely a scenario where St. Lous may have excess pool money to throw at the kid.

• Like Like x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, limiting to the first 10 rounds changes the view. But your comment on making the final 4/development is an area that should look beyond the scope of the first 10 rounds IMO. Lot of really good if not great college players that may not fit that top 10 mold.
    And we also come back to 74Nole making the perfect observation about the business of the draft. We know Shelton is a top 10 round talent....but didn't go because of the business aspect

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I think we all agree that the roster looks better now than we thought it might be before the draft. Pitching is still the main issue for me. Hopefully the freshmen improve, an incoming pitcher or two can help out and it woule be nice if Michael Ross foregoes MLB for a year in Gainesville, then maybe we can pick up another pitcher or two somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    MLB is considering another reduction to the minor league system which would bring even more independent leagues into play. While I doubt they do another contraction, especially with two more expansion teams coming in a 4 to 5 years, MiLB model has certainly changed.

18. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mystery pitcher will apparently announce later this week.

19. astrogator

astrogator Senior

Feb 20, 2024
  20. astrogator

astrogator Senior

Feb 20, 2024
    • Dislike Dislike x 1