Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2025 roster projection

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jdgator, Apr 9, 2024.

1. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. I adjusted him. I think he will play a key role for us.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    Key 2025 pitchers, returning
    Best case: Peterson & Coppola for Fri/Sat, Clemente/Fisher for Sun/#4 -- preferably arranged for LRL or RLR on weekend -- Jameson as fireman/closer (Byrne/Neely role)
    Worst case: Peterson &... um... [PC and FJ go pro, JC and CF go TP]

Key 2025 hitters, returning
    Best case: Kurland, Donay, Heyman, Evans, Shelton...
    Worst case: Kurland, Donay &... um... [all 3 go pro]

We've got 7 important "maybe"s. Seems like a bunch, but I don't know what comparable programs are going through in the NIL/TP era.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Any and/or all scenarios are possible when we are dealing with the draft as it can change directions as easily as seaweed in the tide.

Personally I’d be surprised if Coppola signs in the draft. Having missed as much time and development as he has I feel like going now he would be looking at a long road in Milb time. If he comes back and really polishes his development then that road could possibly be much improved for him to pursue his dreams.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    From your fingers, 74, to fate's ears. At least as a worst case... even if all 6 others move on and the team doesn't end up being all that great (I'm being nice... they'd probably stink-out-loud), watching effectively-sophomore Coppola and real-sophomore Peterson would be at least worth my season ticket cost less what I could sell the Sundays for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. By the same token I kind of think Jameson may be gone given the strides he made and this is his leverage year

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Jameson looks like a weekend starter to me at this point. Maybe even Friday night. Peterson also. Then I guess Coppola/Fisher for Sunday. Then McNellie seems capable of handling the closer role.

7. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    This will be a fun offseason, seeing who we end up with from the Portal, who ends up on campus from HS, and speculating as to who will be starting/backing up at both pitcher and fielder positions. We should have a lot of excitement with who we already have and, especially, if we can land a really good pitcher from the Portal. We ended up having a very good season, although the regular season was frustrating. I, for one, am happy with the ending and greatly look forward to next year!

• Like Like x 2
  8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I would not be shocked to see Clemente in the starting rotation next year. I could see Jameson starting, but I think I like him as a middle relief inning eater that can throw in multiple games per week. Philpott and McNeillie are two more guys I really think have a lot of potential too. Luke kind of hit a wall Alex screwed himself punching a wall, but I won’t be surprised if they have a good career here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would disagree. He has two pitches. I also think he will sign. If he comes back he could be set up man or closer IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We might bring in one or two veteran pitchers, however I don't think it's as big as of a need at this point.

11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Would sure be nice to bring in a bonafide ace or at least a weekend starter, but they are few and far between, and can be very expensive as well.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Fisher Jamison’s vertical breaking ball is elite! Hope he stays but his value is highest today

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    He may have two pitches, but he throws them well and consistently, which wasn’t what we got out most of our stable. I’d love for him to remain a middle reliever, if he returns, but we don’t seem loaded with aces at this point. If we comes back and we can swing it with him as closer, that’s great. Just not yet convinced that we can swing it.

14. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Three areas to cover on this one.

As to Clemente, you have to remember he was the starting pitcher at Stoneman Douglas and won 2 state championships with him starting. I might be off a little but its close. I do remember his senior year he didn't give up an earned run until late in the playoffs. Point is Clemente will want to be a starter wherever he is and if its not here I don't see him staying. Not saying he is leaving but I'm sure he will be given plenty of chances to earn a spot this fall.

As to hitters that Neutrino has, that's the returning list but I'm really liking the guys Sully has coming in. Jones from Stetson is the real deal with a 355 average and a low SO rate. He hit 417 in the Tally regional. Nadeau from Jacksonville hit 395 and a low SO rate. Stripling from Texas Tech had a great HS career in Georgia hitting 430 with a low SO rate. Cyr from Miami averaged around 300 in 2 years for the Canes and was Freshman AA hitting 17 homeruns. He should have good power here at Florida as well. The commonality is they all can hit and should drop our SO ratio and then some.

And the position players, Nadeau played 2nd at JU. Cyr played 2nd/DH at Miami. Jones was CF. Stripling was at 1st. I don't think Nadeau takes 2nd from Kurland so does Nadeau hope to play 3rd? Talk is Cyr moves to LF but he could be a corner IF. Jones will probably take CF from Robertson. Does Robertson stay and hope to get RF but what about Wilson? Wilson started the fall as the backup 1st baseman but seems to be a utility guy. Point is we have plenty of good players for the OF and we will have to wait and see on a few IF positions. Plus Yost will be back around mid season so does he end up redshirting.

Note: I really like 2 freshmen we have coming that could play SS. But that's another post after we see who signs or joins the Gators.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UF had the worst pitching staff in the SEC this past year and while the bullpen pitched much better in the NCAA tournament, our starters still struggled to make it through three innings in most games. And with Cags, Neely and most likely Jameson leaving, the returning guys had a combined ERA of well over 7.00 this past season.

I agree we have some really good young arms but the development of pitchers has definitely been lacking the last few years. The question is can the young pitchers improve their command enough in the offseason to be dependable SEC weekend starters?

• Like Like x 1
  16. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    100% agree. However I've been told they are comfortable with what they have returning and coming in from HS. They will try and add a starter and closer type but majority of focus is hitting.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have updated to reflect the Whitmer and Satin announcements.

18. gatorheel

gatorheel Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope Robertson stays. By the end of the season he was one of our best contact hitters and always an outstanding fielder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    This didn’t age well

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Billy Barlow - RHP from Clemson now being added

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3