Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SOC) 2024 Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by LTG61, Aug 2, 2024.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I couldn't watch the game, but it seems the officiating was heavility one-sided. 24 fouls called on Florida, only 6 on Towson. Florida played short-handed the last 21 minutes of the game and they scored a free play goal with 10 seconds left in the match for a 1-1 tie.

2. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    I watched the game. The officiating was very definitely one-sided. Towson players defiantly had an acting class in their training. On the red card, all I saw was that the TU player ran into FL GK Emmanuel, bounced off and then fell to the ground, auditioning for an academy ward. She made the contact. The same was true for the yellow card at the end of the game. The Referee was buying the acting performances. I give the lady, who set the ball near the far post, a congratulatory nod . The ball bounce around off several players and the went into the goal. Time ran out.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    So five games in, and we are undefeated. Three ties, but still undefeated at 2-0-3. We should be pleased with this, no? Our next game is vs #1 FSU, and we get them at home with the noles missing a bunch of their best players. Any chance of an upset here? That would be absolutely huge for this program and the direction we're trying to take.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    This time last year we were 3-0-2, then beat Charlotte to go 4-0-2 before going to Tallahassee and losing to them 0-1. After that things got real when we hit our SEC schedule and we ended up 6-5-6.
    We played the Noles very tough last year at their place, so maybe we can give them a good game again. Hoefully, we can do better in conference play than in 2023, but the offensive punch just doesn't seem to be there - again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    Thanks, I didn't realize we started that well last year. Win or lose against FSU I hope there's not another tailspin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    At this point, UF soccer is exactly where they were last year....and that's not what I expected or was hoping for.

Yes, losing Hinnenkamp hurts badly, but I think Blom can pick up that scoring and Butts is making things happen every time she enters the field. I was hoping that UF's midfield and defensive improved play quality (at the end of last year) would carry forward into this year. But so far, it looks to me like they reset back to the beginning of 2023.

I don't expect a victory or tie against FSU, although either would be very welcome. But, I do expect the FSU game to be a barometer that can be used to indicate expectations for league play this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think fsu was missing 6 players to international youth duties.
    Lucky it was only 3-0.
    We lack pace and athleticism every where?

why did she change keepers?

8. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Final: FSU 3 - UF 0.

Coach has changed GK at halftime of every game this year. I don't know why and I don't know if she intends to continue it throughout the year.

I didn't get to see the first half. (FSU led 1-0 at halftime.) But, what I saw in the 2nd half merely confirmed (to me) what has already been mentioned in previous posts. (I don't see any need to rehash.) FSU was in complete control throughout the 2nd half, on cruise control.

I didn't see Njeri Butts play at all in the 2nd half. I'm still a fan of Vera Blom, and the play of freshman Norah Abbott shows promise. Otherwise, as you said, we lack pace and athleticism (and ball skills, IMO).

If nothing improves, UF's defense won't keep them in as many games as it did in 2023. UF's midfield will continue struggling to deliver playable balls to the forwards, for multiple reasons. Consequently, UF's offense will be mostly limited to ineffective kick-and-run rushes from all over the field.

Prediction: UF will finish in the bottom third of the SEC with a record below .500 and miss the SEC tournament.

I hope the team proves me wrong.

9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    No offense yet again. Not surprising, but disappointing. A Gator soccer program that used to dominate, now is just a poor to middling team. Ho;ing they come together for SEC play, but don't see anything yet that convinces me that will happen.

10. biggerigator15

biggerigator15 VIP Member

Apr 14, 2024
    upload_2024-9-8_23-54-34.png so I am just going to be nosy because I watched the game today with my friend who coaches travel soccer up here. Said like you guys we are low on athelticism and speed without the Hennekamp I think her name is. So she directed me here to see who we got coming in to see if there is help. What she said is we need to do better in the portal. The lady we got from BYU a few years ago was by far and away the best player we have signed. She said everyone else is bit players.
    Off this list she has seen everyone she said except the Madison girl. The ones that stand out in her mind that she thinks can contribute right away are Spencer(who she raved about)She also loves the Kai Tsakiris girl but thinks she may need half a season or so to get used to the speed. Katie Johnson girl and Ava Paolini...also said Norwood is super fast and is something we need in midfield. I know you guys probably already know this stuff, I just am trying to get more involved in Soccer and Lacross since they are sports I really dont understand and since I will be retiring soon I can catch more games

11. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    It is the third year and we are still a bottom feeder. We have a SS coach: a good person, does things right, good character but not a SEC coach. As long as He is the AD we won't be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I understand what you're saying about a "SS coach." But, I'm not yet willing to conclude that she's not an SEC caliber coach. Her first year (2022) she took over a horrible situation, and UF was at the very bottom of the SEC standings. In 2023, they moved "up" (even though it was just into the bottom third).

So, although their play is currently plateaued at last year's level (IMO) - and I think that's where it will probably stay this year - I also think what she's done so far justifies waiting to see if she can get them improving again later this year and/or next.

13. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Honestly, this team hasn't been good since Savannah Jordan's Senior year. I think we had one more good season, the next season, then the drop off began.
    Becky became obsessed with possession, and we played a possession with no purpose style of soccer. Always played negative and just tried to play keep away, even when down by multiple goals.

During this time it allowed the rest of the league to catchup, South Carolina, Arkansas, Bama, and now that Georgia has a real coach, they will be a force to deal with.
    I don't expect coach to ever lose her job regardless of results, its womens soccer, as long as the girls are happy and graduating, she will remain.

But -- just like football, basketball, track, volleyball, tennis, etc -- their are expectations to be the best in the league. With the new changes coming next year and roster sizes set at 28, will be interesting to see how many scholarships will be available to womens soccer and the same for the rest of the league. Does the SEC come to an agreement for all sports to ensure its an equal playing field for non-revenue generating sports? (which might be illegal...)

Look i'm not expecting national titles, but we should be the best team in the SEC every year, make the SEC tourney, and the ncaa tourney annually -- teams should fear playing at UF in Sept.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    This. A thousand times.

I thought BB was letting the team go downhill even while Savannah was here. BB had no strategy on offense other than force the ball to Savannah, even when she had two or three defenders on her (which, after her freshman year, was ALWAYS the case).

15. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    GXMmgNRXsAE0JHb.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Halftime vs Kennesaw St. UF leads 2-0, a blast from short range by Tellix, and a PK from Rasmusson after a foul against Butts. Might have been more, but finishing in front of the net is still not good.

17. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Final: UF wins 3-0.

Fairly early in the 2nd half, Vera Blom took a ball out on the left wing and cut back toward the center before sending a bending shot toward the far post that beat the keeper for UF third goal.

Kennesaw St isn't nearly as good as they were last year. I'm happy for the win, but the same issues were still apparent for UF: passing, midfield play, and field awareness. And, the continuous attempts at long balls from defense direct to forwards need to cease immediately. I won't call out individual players, but there are multiple serial offenders.

I was hoping to see UF use these early season games to work on utilizing the midfielders in building an attack. Instead, there is almost nothing but long direct passes, sometimes a give-and-go between two players, and individual rushes up the field.

Such elementary concepts will rarely work against opponents equal or superior in talent/skill - which is basically the entire SEC.

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We don’t have good enough midfielders to build out of the midfield.

19. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    That's the only thing I can figure, too. Especially when playing 4-3-3. So, I would think that they would try to compensate for lack of quality by using quantity: 3-4-3 or maybe get real daring and go 3-5-2. Your thoughts?

Edit: Or, on second thought: given CSB's preference for defense, 4-4-2.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think in today’s soccer it’s hard not to have 4 in the midfield. Not having bodies in the midfield gets exploited too easily, having a mediocre midfield with 4 is the lesser evil imo. A 3-4-3 with our fourth defender in midfield might not be the worst, but SB lives for not allowing goals, doesn’t feel like her style.
    When I was a kid we played a 4-2-4, with the outside backs and wings splitting the outside midfield work. That was fun and really fluid. We were good too, travelled the Midwest playing tournaments. But would never work today.