Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2024 or 2025 or 2026

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Nov 6, 2023.

1. razorhog83

razorhog83 Recruit

Nov 4, 2023
    arkansas
    Fla is in a tricky spot because kirby is not even 50 yet your best hope is some NFL team takes him away and makes uga back to nomal 9-3 and gags in the big games that is the uga i think of

• Like Like x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    We Can’t keep changing coaches . Don’t you fricken understand that? Have you seen what this has done to the Florida program?

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

Better get two OT from the portal. Effectively we have 1.5 OTs at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  4. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa VIP Member

Nov 23, 2012
    And THIS is yet another comparable to Mike Shula in his tenure at Alabama for comparing to Nape. 1) Shula ran ‘systems’ that had to have ‘just the right players’, and that’s what’s we are hearing from this end now. ‘Be patient. When we get OUR kind of players, you’ll see the difference’. And 2) we are a ‘young team’. And they perpetually STAYED that way because his philosophy/system was such that the younger guys never got experience until they were forced into action and then: they would lose because they had little to no experience. I don’t care for these kind of paths !

5. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Who is this "we" you refer to? And, stop putting words in my mouth. What has been done to the Florida program was done (and is being done) by the coaches and the administrators who hired them, and nobody else.

Despite the poor defense, UF was still in position to win the Arky game. CBN's FG fiasco blew it. His excuse for it was BS. And this is just the latest example. It's a trend! CBN seems to think that by stubbornly continuing what he's doing (his "process") that things will change. He's wrong. Until he improves at game management (and player development, I contend) he's gonna keep losing games that UF should win.

Agreed: UF can't keep changing coaches every 2-3 years. But, CBN needs to stop his gameday errors PDQ. Until then, the heat is going to continue. And, you trying shout it down won't change anything. Do you understand that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Napier is in his 2nd season. We need to ride this one out longer than any of the last 3 head coaches. This job has been turned into a coaching carousel and it’s killing us - each firing and hiring is another shovel full out of the hole that just keeps getting deeper.

Blame whoever you want for the mess we’re in — Foley, Muschamp, Mac, Mullen — over the past 10+ years they’ve all had a hand in getting us to where we are today. It took over a decade of decline and it’s gonna take more time than we like to get this wreck off the rocks. So enough with your bitching and whining — we got a good man at the wheel now, he’s recruiting great, but we are lacking in both depth and experience. We have to ride this out at least another 3 years

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm with you wing, at the very least we should at least try a different method this time around and maybe see what happens when we don't fire a coach 3-4 years in. We already know that hasn't worked. Of the 5 active head coaches to win a natty only 1 has done it in less than 4 years and that is the greatest college head coach nick Saban did it in year 3 at Bama, but that was on the heels of a natty at lsuband a NFL coaching stint. Dude was as hot a commodity you could get back then.

Of other recent coaches who have won it within 3 years did not take over a team that was on its worst 8 year span in probably 3 decades. Uga was a perrinial 10 with team under Richt, lsu was a power under less miles before Ed O took over, jimbo won it in year 4 but FSU was one of the winningest teams over the last 15 years when he did that. Zook had a hell of a roster for Meyer to add to thanks to some great recruiting. By following the same pattern of firing a coach after 3-4 years we just kept compounding the problem till it was just broken when CBN came in. Will it work out for us? Maybe, maybe not but I know going through coaches every 4 years isn't.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    If I'm not mistaken, we still got a chance to kick a field goal correct? And missed it? And it was shorter than the one he made prior to that. Had we made the kick we wouldn't be having this discussion. We also failed to get an extra point early on when the snap was bobbled and we couldn't get the kick off. Whose fault was that? Certainly not CBN. Truth be told we should have even been in overtime of we don't fumble the kick off that was returned for a TD, bobble the snap on the extra point or make the 44 yard field goal at the end of regulation. Not sure how CBN messed up any of those plays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I haven't seen anyone here expecting a NC in 3/4 years. Folks just want to be competitive, which isn't currently the case. .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Competitive with puppies and I guess Jentucky? I think we’ve been competitive in the other games. It’ll get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thank you Wing.
    I understand recruiting alone does not win titles, but Napier is putting two things into place that (may) be the foundation for success.

1) A stable locker room.
    2) A helleva recruiting class (this cycle).
    Last cycle was decent, but this class has the makings of championship caliber.

I will also acknowledge that he (should) be learning the ropes when it comes to coaching. The staff hopefully will correct mistakes made these first 2 years and they have made plenty. Special teams are a disaster.

If the whiners get their way, and Napier is replaced, how much of this class stick? I would think attrition would be heavy and then where are we.

UF MUST, get on par with the upper-echelon on the offensive and defensive lines. Napier is doing that on defense, I'm not so sure about the offensive line, tagging Seaton would be a tremendous moral booster.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’m sorry I came off as crass ! I posted that before I got to go potty

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I just look at those years and wonder, which one will be wing’s exit bingo number. :D
    Can we please win something of note before then for wing!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Where does this take even come from? I've seen NOBODY on this board call for CBN to be fired after this year. If you can prove me wrong, where a poster directly says the CBN must be fired or replaced after this year, please cite the thread and post.

Everybody knows UF has to keep him (for multiple reasons). And, yet, the virtue signalling continues unabated.

All that any CBN critic wants is for the disarray on gameday to stop. After 1-3/4 seasons, I don't think that's too much to ask.

15. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Let's see here: no timeouts left to stop the clock: that's on CBN. Bobbled snap on extra point: ST error. Fumbled kickoff: ST error. Substitution penalty prior to missed FG: ST error. No on-field coach for ST this year (again!). That's on CBN.

And that's just one game. Directly or indirectly, it's all on him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's the only one I'd want too, but it would take him 2-3 years to be successful here. This isnt the ACC.

Heck, Saban or Smart would prob take at least a couple years.

17. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't forget Percy (= J. Smith)!

18. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    But he put us in a position to win the game did he not?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    I've seen several who have already made up their minds that Napier CAN'T win it all and "there is no point waiting to hire a home run coach who will" is that not the same thing as saying "fire him because he won't ever win a natty" regardless of how long?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    When he commits, it will be the first thing I do. The comparison would be epic. 100% on the same page.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1