Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SOC) 2023 Soccer Roster

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by BurkeGator, May 20, 2023.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hinnenkamp was on the goal line on the shot and both impeded the goalie and touched the ball in an offside position because the shot came from five yards out. It was the right call.
    Sucks because the gators deserved a win tonight, but it’s still progress in their first true road game.

2. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Got to finish ladies. You outshoot your opponent 16-1 and don't score. As hard as it is to believe with this result, it is still a vast improvement over last year, especially on defense. These were the type of games last year they were holding on for dear life only to lose by a goal or two. Not this year. Completely dominated the game. Just need to get a few of those 16 shots into the back of the net.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    They dominated, didn’t get the result. Pretty neat to not give up goal in 3 games though. Go Gators!

4. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Improvements for sure -- miami is a tough defensive team.

I was switching around to a lot of games, and many teams struggled. UNC couldn't break down wisconsin, and wisconsin looked bad. Bama struggled with Libscomb, won, but looked very bad in the victory.

Sometimes I expect too much, I think I need to lower my expecations in general.

5. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    My friend said it again to me today, we need to get 2 ladies for the team next year to make that big jump...forward with alpha scoring mentality and midfielder who can crisply distribute . I really wish I knew what she meant but she was excited to see us dominate like we did last night. She said Samantha has us headed in right direction, so I will go with what she said.

6. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Agree on alpha forward but they have some solid midfielders who could distribute if the ball ever works thru them as opposed to going up the sides and losing the ball like last nights game.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    18 minutes into the Stetson match and the Hinnenkamp show is on full display. 2 goals already. Followed by 2 goals by Lipscomb transfer Molly Grant. A regular target practice at this point.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Yes, the offense is the show. But the impressive performance (so far) is the back line. Absolutely textbook defensive shape and seemingly effortless transition to offense. No wonder the keeper hasn't given up a goal so far this year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  10. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  11. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    Heard we got a pretty big recruit from the midwest to commit..high 4 star recruit or something.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
  13. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I watched it live on ESPN+. UF had multiple shots clang off the goal, and Kennesaw pressed hard in the second half. They only got off a couple of shots, but made one count. It was off a cross from the outside, and the central defender (Vaka, I think) waited until the attacker settled it before closing on her. Too late. A similar play happened a few minutes later and, again, the defender didn't close while the ball was in the air. But, no goal for them.

Despite the hiccup and a bit of bad luck on offense, this team is still on the right path (imo), especially defensively.

One thing that hasn't changed yet, and I'm sure that Coach is working on it, is that Hinnenkamp isn't passing the ball once she gets it in the attacking third. There are runners supporting her. I'd really like to see her learn to play less direct-and-alone in those situations.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Against Charlotte on Thursday, UF was in control for the first 30 minutes or so. Then Charlotte stepped up their defensive pressure, which really bothered UF for the remainder of the first half.

(High pressure has been used sucessfully against UF for nearly a decade.)

But, this staff made adjustments at halftime and the players dealt with the pressure much better in the second half. I consider that a very promising indicator for the future.

15. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Against FSU today (ACCN, if you get it) will be a real barometer of where this team is. UF may not win, but I'm interested to see just how well they compete against a scrong FSU side.

16. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    was at the game( 7 minutes or so from my house) and yeah we pretty much dominated the entire game save a few minutes at the end of the half. Huge difference in talent and speed. Plus this coach and her staff seem to have a grip on what to do. I know very little about soccer but love my Gator sports and this team is light years ahead of last year and the year before.

By the way 0-0 at the half..I think FSU has controlled play, but our girls are scrappy

17. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    1st half summary: 0-0. FSU's speed against UF's organization.

FSU is short on technical skill, but fast in the front and back. They're all-around meh in the middle. Lot's of youth-league long balls, but their speed makes it problematic. When they get a corner, they're very dangerous. #3 has a dynamite service.

UF's defense is holding on against all that speed, but not losing their shape/composure. Up front, UF was stymied by FSU's defensive speed....until Bailey and Butts came in. They have equal speed and are exposing FSU's true lack of skill in the back. UF's GK has saved multiple probable goals.

We'll see what adjustments UF makes in the 2nd half.

18. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Final: FSU-1, UF-0. FSU's speed finally broke through in the 76th minute.

If it wasn't a loss, one could say this was an outstanding game for UF soccer. The team's improvement is obvious, and the potential is there for more. They played well, they played smart, and they sustained it the whole game. And, for the first time in a long while, there was a definite eye-of-the-tiger vibe deep into the game. It waned somewhat after the goal. But, I think this game definitely will strengthen their confidence and tenacity.

As for FSU: whatever. They've got elite team speed, average individual skill, and youth league team tactics.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Former gator Beatta Olson with the assist on FSU goal

20. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    They've lost five games the last four seasons combined. If that's your definition of average and youth league, can the Gators get some of that please?