Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SOC) 2023 Soccer Roster

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by BurkeGator, May 20, 2023.

1. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Since the previous thread on this subject appears to have disappeared, I will start a new one.

With this latest addition to the women's soccer team, by my count that makes for a 33 player roster for the Fall if all 23 players listed in the Spring roster return plus adding the new freshmen and transfers. That would be up there with the Becky Burleigh huge 30+ player rosters she would regularly carry. The talent level appears to be trending in the right direction, but we still have a ways to go before annually competing with the UNCs and FSUs for post season honors. But by the same token, I do not expect this program to remain as an SEC bottom feeder. Slow but steady progress.

Gator Soccer Adds Transfer Charlotte McClure - Florida Gators

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Samantha is doing some work in the transfer portal the last couple of weeks. That is now six portal transfers to go along with her HS recruiting class. There must be some additional roster attrition coming unless she actually expects to have 37 on the roster this August? Meanwhile, crickets on the portal front for women's basketball even though there are multiple available scholarships.

Gator Soccer Adds Grad Transfer Molly Grant - Florida Gators

Gator Soccer Adds Transfer Daviana Vaka - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Any chance of the squad being competitive this year?

5. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    I expect them to be competitive in most of their matches and therefore likely middle of the road next year in the SEC. They were so devoid of talent last year that that would be a huge improvement. I like the direction Samantha is taking the program but there does not appear to be any elite talent coming in this year that would immediately make UF a top tier program. What they do appear to have coming in are a group of dedicated and spirited players who will raise the talent floor significantly and set a great foundation to build from.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that’s why I have said it’s probably a 3-4 rebuild. We were nowhere, even a good recruiting class or two won’t fill us up. But this is a good first step.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    There’s solid pieces in goal, defense and mid so these additions help solidify those areas even more and add some experienced goal scorers up top. No Abby Wambqch’s on the team but if we can find some goal scorers in this group then we should be much better. Middle of the SEC would ne a good start.

8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I liked the way the team seemed to gel toward the end of last season. Obviously the talent level wasn't there, but sure felt ike they were moving in the right direction.
    The approach somewhat feels like Napier and football, a slower, build from the ground up solution that should be solid and sustainable

9. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I'm really expecting a big step forward. Maybe not a championship; but, definitely a very competitive team and a good seed in the SEC tourney. Amato really set this team back. BUT, looks like Coach Bohon has them pointed in the right direction. Going to be an interesting season.

10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m seeing a team somewhere around 9thish maybe in league, which is a nice step forward but still a ways to go. Hope they prove me wrong.

11. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    A full roster just got even bigger. Meanwhile, Kelly Rae is seemingly hell bent not to add to a dangerously thin roster with not many bigs.

• Like Like x 2
  12. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Nice pick up... hopefully she won't transfer to FSU (aka The Florida international soccer team).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    is that 37 girls on the roster? That is an insane number?

I expect Alabama to take a big step backwards.
    Georgia to take a big step forwards ( a few big transfers followed the coach from USC this season, one is coming off a knee injury, but was an all-american)
    Arkansas will stay steady along with Tenn and South Carolina.

Florida honestly, doesn't need a lot to take step forward. A few dynamic play makers and back to our roots a true goal scorer.

Should be very interesting this season to see the direction the program is going. Clearly last season coach wanted to emphasize the joy of the game!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought we saw nice progress the end of last season. Didn't always result in a W, but the level of play was clearly higher
    I'm thinking this is a very competitive squad vs most comp....not elite by any stretch but a tough out

• Like Like x 1
  15. traubgator

Apr 8, 2007
    By mid season we will have a handle on what to expect the next few years.
    Tying ga southern isn’t a great look. It’s a scrimmage, but should have been an easy win with a few goals.
    There loaded with talent from Atlanta, but most the top girls players are good students as well and hence ga southern isn’t on their radar.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah not great, but it’s basically an entirely revamped roster. Gonna take some time to gel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Plus if you saw the team about 10 we’re not dressed out due to illness and injury. No doubt it was rough due to team dynamics aka not gelling yet.

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    0-0 tonight against UNF.
    Still early and they should improve, but it’s fair to say now that one goal in two games against that competition is concerning.

19. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Definitely hoping they can put it together quickly. Several chances primarily off corners but must capitalize on those opportunities.

20. traubgator

Apr 8, 2007
    This team has had a goal scoring problem since savannah jordan graduated. Deanne Rose attempted to fill the void, but I felt missed too many games for commitments to the Canadian national team. The potential was there, but Savannah was a dominate game changing goal scorer on the college level. and she commanded attention. Teams had to game plan for her.
    I don't think we have any attackers that would make a team tactically adjust to deal with.
    Another 0-0 result isn't great, in an exhibition, you should be able to take chances, push numbers forward, take advantage of numbers in tight spaces etc. Granted I did not watch the game, but with the transfer portal now, change can happen quickly. 18 new players on this roster, lots of change again. Stability is a must and senior leadership will come.

I'm really hoping coach can turn this ship around, it really comes down to talent on the field. at the college level to be successful as a team, you need a dominant goal scorer and a top tier keeper. In 2 years, there is no reason that we aren't back to our top of the state of florida status - no reason we should ever be behind UNF, UCF, and miami in any sport.

It's clear coach is pushing the Joy and student athlete aspect of this team, which I have no issues with. I just ask for growth from now until the end of SEC play.
    On paper this team should win 5 of their next 6 games before playing FSU in Tallahassee.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023