Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2023 College World Series Schedule/Scores/Discussion

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, Jun 11, 2023.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    So how do we see the other bracket shaking up?

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I can say that I promise you—Ole Miss fans are the same with their b!tching—the world is against us, etc. etc. etc…..

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Excellent points made. Well done.

This team has what it takes to win the 2023 College World Series. We have the talent, the guts, the drive and the ability to transcend the game just passed and do the things to get better performance.

This team, believe you me, has the leadership to improve on last night. And, we will.

We ARE going to win the 2023 College World Series.

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Very good debate here on the merits of hitting vs winning; whether a win is worth celebrating if it falls short aesthetically. If Gators do win this thing without pleasing the front-runners, I'll oppose giving it back.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Plenty of good comments here 1977 especially about our approach at the plate and shoring up the defense with Robertson when we have the lead. One caution about Shelnut, even though I agree it feels like he is slumping, I checked his NCAAT stats and he is 8 for 29 at the plate, with 5 walks, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, and a double for a .276 batting average. For a guy in the bottom half of the order that's much better than a list of other Gators like Cags, Langford, Kurland. I get the desire to see better defensive players in the OF, but remember Shelnut is a infielder playing the outfield and they all can't be as good as our catchers in the outfield.

• Like Like x 4
  6. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I am often critical of play during victories, but I’d also like to offer a defense for this: I really do believe (mostly) in the little league adage that it isn’t whether you win or lose, but it’s how you play the game. As a result, I also often heap praise in losing efforts.

In addition to the obvious philosophical stance advocated here, there is also a more practical defense as well. When I see the gator basketball team go up by 10 at half by hitting a bunch of contested threes and the other team missing open easy shots, I believe we’re likely to lose the game. The score doesn’t seem to be reflecting the quality of the teams as much as randomness, and randomness is, well, random.

That said, my interest in playing well wanes the closer we get to a championship, culminating in the final game, where I won’t care if we because the opposing center fielder slips on small meteor that ricocheted off a tortoise that recently escaped from the Omaha zoo.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You forgot a series of earthquakes in the North Carolina area.....oh wait!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My Cox cable TV and internet are still MIA so listening on AM 850.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Might have to go to a sports bar to watch Wake v LSU.

12. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    I really don’t follow their teams fan base reactions and such nor would I care. But, I’d be surprised if they are much different than ours. Pre-game - hopeful, confident, arrogant, cocky
    Post game - Elated, joyous, relieved OR dejected, PO’d, disappointed, hyper-critical.
    I think the emotions are elevated in football and basketball where generally the most talented team that plays decent without bad miscues “should” win. Probably more so in football than basketball where mid majors can beat you. I think, in college baseball, a badly pitched game and/or poor hitting can doom you against almost any team on your schedule. So, in games against opponents we clearly outmatch in talent, we can lose if we play really crappy. I mean, our record is not 60-1. It’s just the nature of the game and I suspect dedicated fans that really follow their teams are naturally dejected and critical when their teams lose (like GC baseball fans)
    As I age, I don’t think I am nearly as dejected as when I was younger; I was nearly suicidal if UF lost and had to be coaxed off the ledge.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Baseball is so random that I never take any game for granted Being really good only skews the odds in your favor.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Talent is important but cohesion, camaraderie, and peaking at the right time are just as important. That is the story of the 2017 Gators. The way that team was in sync no one was beating us in Omaha.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Tennessee 6
    Stanford 4
    Top 8th
    There is trouble in the forest
    And the creatures all have fled
    As the maples scream, "Oppression"
    And the oaks just shake their heads

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Right on, my brother. The team this year is on a mission, is cohesive, and has Sully.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just got back in from visiting Mom in her ALF. She was asleep in the den when I got there so I snuck back to her room to watch some of the game and was able to see the Vols get those 4 runs. Now I see they have a 6-4 lead.

The ways things have gone so far in Omaha - no lead is safe, so who knows how this one ends up.

Tonight's game should also be a good one!

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    And Stanford is out. Final score 6-4 Vols. Impressive performance by the Tennessee relief pitcher Chase Burns. 6 innings with 2 hits and no runs. :emoji_clap:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Silver G; freshman with attitude:p...when the admin says I'm off topic, I'm off topic. When you say it, not so much.

20. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Wake vs Lsu
    Go Wake

• Like Like x 1