Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2022 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 21, 2022.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    think I mentioned while back Mathis is a cousin. only met once when he was about 7..lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Speaking of Auburn baseball & since already of subject a bit..

getting seats on top of monster.

Auburn approves upgrades to Plainsman Park - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

Already #1 aesthetically, by far. And dont need more seats unless hosting post season(at least full then unlike some other SEC venues I saw) So not sure the point. Although having seats on top of green monster is neat idea,, one the 'fans' have discussed for 20 years..lol Someone finally paying attention at least.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Yes you tell me that. 7 yr old huh?, so back when he could already turn a DP at 2nd base….;)

4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Im guessing,,it was a family reunion thing many years ago that I most likely wasnt pleased to be at to start with..He was definitely pre HS.

If i remember right hes my grandads(played at Chipola) sisters grand kid. maybe great grand..lol

5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Per MLB.com, even Ellerts hasn’t signed yet. Not sure if MLB.com is up to date or there are just that many unsigned people. 5ish days left.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I know his Dad (Danny) played at Chipola behind me a few years. I was there in ‘71-‘72 and Danny was there in the early ‘80’s I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Not draft related but mlb related Cash is frustrating. Pulls McClanahan at 81 pitches after another brilliant outing with a 3-2 lead. Poche comes in and immediately gives up a single and a home run. McClanahan could’ve definitely went another inning easily. He had not thrown since the All-Star game so he had his normal rest and I believe he only through 27 pitches that night. This is the third time I’ve watched this happen this year with cash specific to McClanahan and sad thing is McClanahan will probably end up not winning the Cy Young this year due to things like this. Kid is the best pitcher in baseball but plays for a guy that is very very conservative. letting a kid with not a ton of innings on his arm throw 90 pitches is not a bad thing especially when his name is McClanahan. Hate to see Rays lose this way. Gotta ride your star and let him lead you. Shades of Snell being pulled early!!

8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    80 of his pitches were ok.. the first was deposited by Ced..;) Santander also got him in 4th. but he did leave w/ lead. JMO but not remotely best P in MLB or AL east for that matter..again JMO. Bright future though,,hopefully for him gets traded.

Sun, Devil Rays,,which is it btw.. have some decent arms,,but who are these position players?? lol

Os have smallest payroll ever,, and other than Randy(not attempting last name spelling) not sure any other Sun-Devil Ray would start for Os

9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As to pulling too soon. Back in early years of TB Rays, the mgr was former pitching coach for Cubs, Larry Rothschild (sic?). He came to dinner one night with a guys club I was in. The Rays a few days earlier had lost a game on the road in the bottom of the 9th.

The TB starting pitcher was Estaban Yan who had pitched 8 innings, allowed 4-5 hits, 1-2 walks, 9 Ks and a shut out. He was pulled with a 1-0 lead. The reliever in the bottom of the 9th gave up 2 runs, game lost 2-1. I asked LR why did you pull Yan after 8? (I was expecting blister on finger or he felt a twinge etc).

He answer floored me: "He reached his pitch count at 99"

So Yan could not physically throw 110-120 pitches? Juan Marachal and Warren Spahn went 16 innings each in one game, both going over 200 pitches (JM said he threw 240) and both did not miss a start and neither had an adverse affect from the long outing. On top of that, back in the 50s and 60s it was common for good pitchers to start 38-40 games of 162 per yr. Not 27-33.

10. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let me correct myself. Spahn was 42 yr old and Marichal was 26. Marichal had many years after that winning 20+ games a year with sub 3.00 ERA. Spahn was at that time fading at 42 and played only a couple of more years with little success like he had in prior years.

11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

350—

Just to solidify your points pull up Bob Gibson’s career stats and pay particular attention to his 1968 season…..

12. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    would you go ask him for the ball?? lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They lowered the mound after that season…..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I am assuming this is based on TV? I didn’t think you had traveled to many parks in the last 20 years but we haven’t had this conversation recently in my memory.

I have been to A&M, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, Arkansas, USCe, Georgia.

Missing Mizzou, Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Kentucky, Vandy, and UF’s new park (been to it but never inside).

So 50% for me.

Auburn’s park seems fine on TV but it never looked special to me.

Exterior: Blue Bell is the prettiest. I don’t know that there is a close 2nd from the ones I have seen.

Setting: USCe. Love looking out over Columbia’s skyline. Feels like a miniature Pittsburgh.

Most fun: Ole Miss/Starkvegas

Prettiest Inside: I really like South Carolina. Haven’t been in a couple years (2018ish I think was my last visit). They suck now so it probably isn’t the same atmosphere that it used to be but it feels like Philadelphia’s baseball stadium and that is one of my favorite MLB parks. Camden Yards is my other. Though I will admit nothing beats a Tuesday afternoon in the bleachers of Wrigley. The stadium isn’t “great” but I could spend an entire summer just drinking beer and going to afternoon baseball games in Wrigley. Sounds like an incredible summer.

15. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    General consensus on 'media' comments. Uniqueness , no bad sight lines, etc Rest are cookie cutters.
    It spent a few years #1 nationally after the remodel w/ monster. All the new builds past it per same media etc , but it was never ranked high for number of seats

Only way Ill visit any of them again is in aluxury suite with A/C, big screen tv, etc..or in another word...home..

Camden is main park AU is 'modeled after" along w/ some Wrigley and Fenway of course.

16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    not sure if your kidding or not.
    1.76 ERA is nothing to sneeze at and first in baseball. Leads mlb in 4 categories.

His numbers say he’s the best and you absolutely have to consider he’s on a team where he gets pulled early and they don’t hit behind him.

17. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    having good year doesnt make you best in game, or even a good 3 years. If I were 1 of the 14 Sun Devil Ray fans Id still say Kluber my ACE..or at least most Id trust.

SM is good, never denied that but IMo not better than more than i care to list.. Kershaw..Ill stop there..;)

18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Sterlin Thompson signed for slot per MLB.com.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Still nothing posted on Isaac (limited upside, needs to sign), Sproat, or Thomas. Didn’t check Ellerts this time.

20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree to disagree. Numbers don’t lie and no manager in the game would start Kluber over McClanahan. Best right now. No one said good year. Great year to this point. On Yankee or Astro team he has 13-14 wins.