Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

20.00 a hour for mcdonalds

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Sep 19, 2023.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    And both sides have put forward immigration reform. I not calling at pols, they're mostly all bought and paid for. I'm calling out the bases of a party.

Automation isn't going to solve the demographic trajectory we're on. We need to figure something out before we're Japan.

2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Fair enough. Then I'd like to point out that I didn't call out opposition to price fixing, rather I called out opposition to simply paying unskilled labor higher wages.

3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    you're right. I assumed you were equating people against this min wage were against unskilled workers earning higher wages. my bad

4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Zero worries. I thought you had quoted my question begging post.

5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And the net profit was 6 billion, mush was due to leasing fees that the corp charges the franchisee.

Did you know the average franchisee owner makes about 150-200k per year. Seems like increasing the wage at locations like that could really crush the owner.

6. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unlikely. They’ll just raise prices. And I’m pretty certain they’ve already been paying wages close to that in all the major metros in the state and making it work.

7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    No, you miss the point. If you aren't going to be a cheap food purveyor, you don't have the excuse to pay slave wages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I dont really agree with that, but ultimately I'm just pointing out the fact that you cant really argue that its a huge amount of money given the cost of living. Also the odds that a FF worker is going to get regularly scheduled 40 hours+ a week is pretty low, so extrapolating $20 hour/40 hrs a week is pretty optimistic best-case scenario.

9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Why shouldn't it?

Seems kind of absurd to expect that having an entry level job should mean being unable to afford shelter (which would also mean being unable to afford other expenses to sustain life).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    They have food at McDonald’s?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    You're didn't quite understand my point. There should be a strong correlation between where someone sits on the income scale and what they spend on housing. If you have a below average income, you should be looking for below average housing cost - not average. It's also very common that people on lower incomes live in multi wage earner households - whether that's dual income family, or taking on roommates. Or young people still living at home.

Sure, it would be great if everyone could afford everything, but that's not realistic. Raising entry level wages simply drives cost inflation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And FSU grads.

(Welcome back.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you have a link for that? If true, that is a horrible return on investment, especially considering what a total PIA running a restaurant is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a small business killer. When the economy is strong, this happens organically. When the economy is strong there is no need for government overreach. When there is a surplus of jobs available, it forces small businesses to pay great employees more in order to keep them. A surplus of jobs creates competition. McDonald's is typically a first job for a teenager living at home. First-time employees who may not be worth $10 an hour. If they are, they will get a raise organically for being great at their jobs. If you want to force the small business owner into paying $20 an hour, you are going to see kiosks. That's already a fact all around the country. Now you have taken that entry-level job away from the teenager looking for their first job.

• Like Like x 1
  15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Anytime we have a thread on here about improved wages (longshoreman, teachers, auto workers, fast food employees) there are conservatives who hate the idea of better wages for others and use 7 degrees of separation to theorize how our whole society will unravel if MCDs cashier makes a few dollars more an hour. It's funny human nature that people think everyone else is overpaid and they are underpaid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    There already are Kiosks in Charlotte. Mine doesnt take counter orders unless you are very old and frail looking. Otherwise they roll their eyes and point to the kiosk.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The OP applies to places with over 60 locations, that's not a small business lol

18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I get what you mean. Not saying it's wrong per se, but I'd offer that in affluent locales, even below average is extremely high and perhaps/likely unaffordable (at least w/o public assistance) because the range that comprises the average is likely very small, which is why there is such a problem.

Agree, it's not realistic that everyone can afford everything, but this isn't just everything. We're talking an essential need to sustain life (the other, obviously being food).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    From what I have read, McDonalds actively seeks owners/operators who will have more than one location. I can't tell what that breakdown may be. I know a guy who owned multiple Wendy's locations in my area. He seemed pretty rich - even had a young Russian girlfriend. I'm not sure what percentage of his money may have come from his Wendy's locations versus other sources. They went downhill when he sold his locations, so I gathered he was doing something right on the management side.

20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A recent McDonald's ad I saw said that 1 in 8 Americans are now, or have worked at a McDonald's at some point in their lives. That seems pretty high to me, but I worked there in high school.

• Like Like x 1