Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

20.00 a hour for mcdonalds

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Sep 19, 2023.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Child slavery in your book right? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tilly

I didn't say McDonald's was the equivalent. I asked if paper boy type jobs should still exist and can be a good thing. But lets be honest, paperboy is more work than handing a bag out a drive thru.

There is always a place for such jobs. My kid doesnt need a living wage, but does need to learn about getting to work on time, working with a team etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I’ve never worked in the FF industry but I feel like people must be understating the stress and work involved with dealing with all the timers, various stations, special orders, rude customers, etc. I can imagine jobs that must be far easier.

4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I bet you never mowed grass around the neighborhood as a teenager either?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Sure, that is all people there do. The bag magically filled itself with food that had been cooked.

Your school lets students show up whenever they want? And how is a paperboy job teaching somebody to work with a team?

Let's be honest, what lessons are kids learning by working a fast food job that they couldn't learn by doing some form of charity work, such as helping build a house? This notion that massive fast food companies shouldn't have to pay much in wages because they are teaching life lessons instead is a bit much.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I worked at a fast food place, McDonald's actually, when I was in high school so I would have money to go out on dates, buy a car, and be able to buy gas for the car. If I worked at a charity I would learn some of the lessons but not about cash management, borrowing money, or other related ideas of social life.

Trust me, I learned all the lessons you would learn at a charity by doing my chores at home. I got zero pay for that but still had to do them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    There is definitely a correlation between labor exploitation and the amount someone talks about "learning life lessons, etc." You hear it most in child labor, unpaid internships, college athletics ... hmm. Guess the life lesson of honest work deserving honest pay isnt in the lesson plan.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  8. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    hey curtis, doing chores did not translate to your room in the frat house, just saying.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't be talking there buddy!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Used to be called learning a trade before people were conned into taking 150k in loans for a Bogus degree. 2 people would come to an agreement that one would learn a trade form someone else. That senior would then use some of their free time to help teach said trade and in turn the senior would financially benefit while the apprentice would get the benefit of experience. Not a super difficult concept and still used Today by younger savvy enough to figure out in an age of handouts, they will stand out for all the right reasons by asking for apprenticeship

• Like Like x 2
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Its used by people who can afford not to work for money to better position themselves, it doesnt benefit the savvy, it benefits the people privileged enough to have the luxury of not needing to sell their labor to make rent, pay bills, etc. Perhaps their savvy is more in convincing their parents or partner to pay for stuff while they get "experience" instead of money.

12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I grew up on four acres. The neighbors were on their own for their yard work! Thankfully I got a bunch of free goodies (like a roof and food), so I felt like it was a fair enough deal.

Personally glad I didn't have to get a job. I do recall one weekend, for example, my dad randomly made me work selling and loading Christmas trees at his friend's business. It wasn't bad, and I don't even remember if I got paid. I do remember being sad because I was working during the UF/FSU game. That was really unconscionable.

13. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    borderline child abuse,imo.........

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. tilly

Um. The person at the window doesn't make the food. That isn't how it works. Some FF places literally hire people to hand the food out

15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And the places that do that expect people to manage high traffic expediting. Surprisingly, for profit companies don't hire people exclusively to hand people bags every once in a while. They require a bit more than that for wages.

16. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I did and made $20 bucks for about 40 minutes of work. Would I have done it for minimum wage at the time? Not a chance. That would have been like $2.83. I also worked collecting carts at a military commissary and made >$12 an hour doing that when minimum wage was $4.25. Yes, all of these were part time positions but the wage itself was a living wage at the time.

The thought I see in this thread that someone should be paid less because they don’t need it because they’re living at home, their spouse makes enough for the family, or it’s a second job is quite the silly notion. How about we apply that to millionaires and billionaires?

17. gatorman1988

gatorman1988 Freshman

Sep 10, 2023
    I mean doesn't FL fast food restaurants pay their employees pretty good too starting out? I know it's not 7.25 an hour.

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Lots of discussion about what fast food places “should” pay. Some seem to think it is a low number because kids don’t need much money. Others think it should be enough to support a family of 4.

What about supply and demand? They should pay what it takes to hire people to do the job. Whether that’s minimum wage or $20.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    commissary jobs were great. Collect carts, help people with their groceries, get tips. Money was flowing on the weekends.

20. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    If fast food jobs were just meant for kids, who’s going to work the breakfast through 5 o’clock shifts? If McDonalds doesn’t want to pay employees more, how about they just open for dinner only so they can staff with just high school kids. How would that business model work out for them?