Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

10 year old rape victim can't get abortion in Ohio

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jul 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    What constitutes independent verification? The story was reported. What do you want? Medical records? For now that's still a HIPPA violation.

Her name in the press? Yes let's traumatize a rape victim AGAIN at age 10 by putting her name out there for the nutjobs. (Being identified and dragged through the mud, etc, massive reason women like me don't report our rapes)

Her parents to speak out? Again, for the nuts to call them killers, etc?

You don't want to believe it go ahead. If it makes you feel better go ahead.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I'd submit to you that the article is a distillation of the statute, yet is equivical - perhaps even contradictory to itself. It says no abortion after 6 weeks, but funding is available in cases of rape. Does that mean funding is not available after 6 weeks? Or does it mean that 6 weeks doesn't apply in cases of rape (because "funding is available")? My sense is that the article cites some facts, but has omitted others. Or, it could be that the Ohio statute is just written poorly.

You libs are missing a real opportunity here. I'm willing to listen to your arguments on this issue. But first, I'd like to know if it really is an issue. Instead: all that's going on here is the usual emotional bomb-throwing. If there's something else, bring it. I'm listening.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The people will change the law. Most people do not support such laws and have no appetite for such laws. They will change the law or get voted out.

Good laws can have unintended consequences. (People die BECAUSE of seatbelts.) But this is fixable and the voters will fix it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey, it was an Abortion center doc who started all this, by serving as the source for the article. Talk to her about any violation of HIPPA, or privacy, or ethics.

For confirmation, how about a police report that a rape of a child took place about 7 weeks ago? Maybe a suspect in custody, or police are investigating?

Even stipulating that this pregnant (or formerly pregnant) child exists, I've seen absolutely nothing to support a claim of rape - and therefore nothing to justify this abortion.

If you've got something other than outrage, let's hear it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Care to wager? We can’t get federal votes on things that have supermajority support. The USSC just handed the keys to the most extreme zealots in your party. Good luck getting them to be reasonable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Not a lib btw. It provides funding so rape victims won't have to pay for services, but there's no exception after 6 weeks for rape or incest, only extreme maternal health. That's been quoted before and mentioned so either you missed it or are being deliberately obtuse.

At 10 she should've qualified under health but unless it's major organs or the like she's out of luck.

7. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I think you're being naive here. Considering gerrymandering and the like, people will do just like on here and point that it's so rare it's not a big deal or an excise to legalize abortion.

And again what constitutes rape? What qualifies for an abortion for rape? Claim? Charge? Conviction? If it's charge or conviction kid could be in preschool by then.

8. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    As to fixing it. GOP Texas platform...wants to fully ban abortion. Fully. This is what it's evolving into more and more. And there will be more cases like this, more sepsis, more death, and the only thing some will say is "well that's not that frequent...God's will though".

FVsuRMhXEAQI3vY.jpg_large.jpg

9. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    The unborn are a convenient group to advocate for, as they require zero sacrifice, commitment, or demands that the actual living do.

Once that baby comes out, screw dem kids.

Pro-birth is the accurate term.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The people don’t make nor change laws, the people they elect do that. The people of Ohio elect those people who write these terrible laws and have no intention of changing their voting habits.

11. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    2 points
    I'm far from a liberal. However, anything on this board thay isn't lapping up tinted orange sweat dripping down the backside of Donald Trump gets you labeled a Liberal. It is easier for those on the right to do this than to acknowledge that their party has strayed from whatever principles it once held. I'm more a libertarian on issues like this than anything. Personally, I'm against abortion, but I have no issues with others choosing to have one up to 15-23 weeks or so.

You keep dismissing the story. If you want to dismiss the story so be it. Im not quite sure what your expectations are. Nonody here is an investigative journalist. But this isn't some fringe story from some fringe partisan website. If you'd like to provide more to the story than go for it. Or dismiss it. But again, I'm not sure what you expect.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    All major news outlets have reported the story. For it to be false, while possible, it's highly unlikely.

As for the six week ban, it's written in the Ohio law. No exceptions unless the life of the woman is in danger. But what of danger? Is it just potential danger? Or does it need to be imminent danger?

If the law is imminent danger, then this girl doesn't qualify at the time she went in. In fact, she had to wait a week before she went to Indiana, presumably without incident.

If the law is potential danger, then all women would qualify. Pregnancy is potentially dangerous. Maybe there's a danger limit, but the law does not specify. So to be on the safe side, doctors in Ohio are not going to abort unless the danger is imminent. Which again, the girl at the time didn't qualify.

13. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    What, in your mind, is or constitutes "a perfect God"?

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You think there's nothing of substance to justify this abortion? She's 10 years old. And btw, the pregnancy is evidence of rape. She's 10 years old.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Who Will Help Care for Texas’ Post-Roe Babies?
    Texas is one of the most dangerous states in the nation to have a baby. The state’s maternal mortality rate is one of the worst in the country, with Black women making up a disproportionate share of deaths. The state’s infant mortality rate, at more than five deaths per thousand births in 2020, translates into nearly 2,000 infant deaths annually.

Texas opted not to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, which helped lead to hospital closures and the formation of rural health care “deserts,” where obstetricians are scarce and prenatal care scarcer still. More than a quarter of women of childbearing age are uninsured, the highest rate in the nation. Medicaid covers low-income women through pregnancy and for two months postpartum, compared with 12 months in most states.

Also Texas along with a majority although not all of the other states that have enacted, will enact or will implement antiabortion (forced birth) laws also pay lowest welfare payments to mothers with young children.
    Maximum monthly benefit under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gatorhall

Gatorhall GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    What?? If you knew the GOD I know you wouldn’t need to ask that silly question but I’ll humor you it’s the GOD of the King James Bible. You seem to serve a different deity than that. Maybe I’m wrong. Just going by previous posts.

17. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Worth noting that you specifically name the "GOD of the King James Bible " as there are many translations, several of which are more accurate. But more specifically, all the translations have descriptors like 'God is love' and ascribe vengeance to God. And the Bible makes contradictory statements in places.

For example (from your preferred KJV)~
    Jeremiah 17:4
    And thou, even thyself, shalt discontinue from thine heritage that I gave thee; and I will cause thee to serve thine enemies in the land which thou knowest not: for ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn for ever.

Contrasted with
    Micah 7:18
    Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

How do these contradictory statements about God constitute "a perfect God"?

I'm going to guess you are a Southern Baptist?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Yes, it's rape with a 10-yr old, even if she was "willing". So, where's the effort to arrest the perp? The Doc called the newspaper, but did she call the police? What about the "colleague" in Ohio? They called the Doc in Indy. Did they call the police?

That's what leads me to ask if this even happened.

I would think that the reporter should have asked some of these questions before running the story. And maybe the editor should have told the repoter to find out, if she hadn't. None of that appears to have happened. To me, it looks like a typical hit piece, and I can't find anything (so far) that calms my suspicions.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    IF a girl gets pregnant at age 10, she was not old enough to consent to sex.

• Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.