Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

“Show me you’re okay shaking hands with a black man”

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorFanCF, Apr 7, 2024.

1. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    In NYC doing some business and visiting my son over the weekend. Leaving my hotel to go to dinner prior to seeing The Book of Mormon we’re crossing one of the avenues and there are hundreds of people crossing toward me and others from the side coming through the intersection, Times Square area. My whole line of thinking is “get to the other side and don’t knock anyone over.” I’m 5’ 9” and about 210 pounds.

Suddenly, a hear a guy yelling a me saying (paraphrased) “Hey, hey, I’m talking to you….don’t walk away from me..” And, I turn, and see a young man approaching me from my left flank saying, as he raised his hand, “show me you’re not afraid of shaking hands with a black man.”

My response? I waived my left hand back toward him windmill style and said “**** ***!!!”

I was immediately pissed that he would define our relationship as Black/White (primarily) and then require me to accept his terms of engagement and agree. I don’t have to prove myself to any stranger nor do I have to prove myself to myself either.

What followed was probably 30-40 seconds of (minimal communication) as he came at me harder and I started to explain I was simply trying to cross the street…to no avail. He called me a lot of names (he was within one inch of my face) and told me how he would do severe damage to me and after he was done would do the same to my son (30 year old, 6’ 170 lb male). I remember him saying you’re in NY now and we don’t play – you’re in NY now – and I said “Go Sox” as I’ve always been a Red Sox fan and hate the Yankees.

I realized he was there to provoke me and I looked at him and said nothing. Once the light changed we walked away from him. A sad and unfortunate incident no doubt. Now, the clincher.

After dinner, after watching the Broadway show my son and I were walking back to the hotel and a man said to a totally different person: “Show me you’re not afraid of talking to a black man.”

Someone in NYC is up to some bad shit.

Talk to me in good faith.

Talk to me professionally

I’m good.

Accuse me of racism at the get go and try to muscle that to get me to acquiesce and I’ll have no part in it.

Not because you’re black but because you’re an asshole and your attitude sucks. My concern and reason for posting is not an isolated incident it’s the fact that the same day I heard the same approach to someone else. Someone in NYC is up to some bad shit; and, it won’t end well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    I’m sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for sharing.

LOL…

I see snowflakes. They’re every where. Except NYC very few of them there.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Sounds like narcissism to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2024
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds like you met a mentally ill person ... (but think it's some conspiracy of black people who get mad when white people won't shake their hands)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Crap to have to go thru that for no reason. Is that becoming common or just bad luck? No telling ....

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    I
    I have similarly been harassed in NYC by mentally ill people ranting about Jesus but you don’t see me starting a thread about it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    Good for you. The point was that THE SAME approach was used by a different person talking to another person. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    how tragic..

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I find mentally ill people in urban areas much less disturbing when you just walk away from them quietly.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I honestly don't believe you and think you probably misheard it the second time, hearing what you wanted to hear in someone else's conversation. I searched a couple of sites to see if "Are you afraid to shake hands with a black person" is a thing and didn't get any hits. I'll change my mind if you can find a second source that observed this.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You think this is a NYC thing? Ever been to New Orleans? These kinds of huksters are in every big city. I responded to one once when I was a college kid and they came back and swatted me on the head. Fortunately, no more than that. There is seldom a correct answer to these kinds of provocations, which typically come in the form of a question. They are trying to provoke a response. With all due respect, your mistake was responding. No matter what you say ("I'm good", "no thanks", etc.) it won't extinguish the encounter . . . unless you were able to flash a badge and say "I'm a NYC cop. Take off." Hell, even that probably wouldn't end it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    OP should probably stay out of big city crowds. The things you’ll see in Central Park would put hair on his chest…

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    What do you believe is the cause for multiple such instances?

14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The issue was you looked like a tourist. Don’t look like a tourist.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m sorry this happened to you. But my advice, don’t engage. Nothing good comes from engaging. Personally, I keep walking and don’t even look at them. Just pretend you don’t hear them. They will move on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    This is really unfair that it happened to you. You didn't deserve it.

You're a victim.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  17. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    My son looked me as we were walking by the other person and said “Did he just say that? Because that’s almost exactly what the other guy said to you”.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Are we allowed to victim blame and shame now ? Rules seem so fluid

just act like a crazy white guy. Promise you he will walk away. Nobody wants to mess with that crazy wide eyed white dude

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    I agree. We are not, and the victim should not be blamed.

Poor victim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    love to have kept walking but we were on an island and the light was against us. Once he was an inch from my face - and I could feel droplets on my skin - I knew he just wanted to provoke me further. That’s when I stopped engaging. Note: I would not accuse him on spitting on me - we were just that close.