Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

“Law & order” party Gov nullifies Texas jury

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Apr 8, 2023.

1. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Please see post 15

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I responded to your first post. Had I read the 2 subsequent ones, I wouldn’t have commented.

3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I get that someone wouldn't have to wait for the other person to actually shoot. I doubt anyone is arguing that. But when the police interviewed the shooter, he apparently said "I believe he was going to aim at me. I didn’t want to give him a chance to aim at me." Link below.

If being concerned that someone might aim a gun at you justifies lethal force, seems like it would be difficult for any conviction to stand in a situation where two people are armed and one of them shoots and kills the other. In most cases, I imagine the person who's alive while simply say the other person had aimed at them, whether truthful or not. But this guy apparently conceded he wasn't going to let it go that far.

I don't know if the Governor sees something in this case I haven't read yet, but if this is the standard for the use of lethal force, I think it's going to incentivize people to be even quicker to pull the trigger since both sides are going to have these arguments. And this doesn't even get to the argument shooters can make about unarmed people - " I was afraid he was going to take my gun and shoot me with it."

Daniel Perry's police interview after Garrett Foster's death revealed to jury

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    True, but they are just responding to their electorate. It's pretty plain the base thinks you should be able to randomly kill protesters with messages you disagree with. People like Abbott are meeting the political market of their followers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Judicial system has jumped the shark. If the democrats had any balls what so ever they'd have expanded the supreme court and started putting radical judges in place. You cant fight fire with constitutional meaning, you have to find the cracks in the constitution and exploit the shit out of it until you get an advantage over other Americans who have small differences in views.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    A damning summary surely suggesting it would be a tragedy to pardon this guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    They released the texts of the man Abbott wants to pardon, and you'll be shocked to find out that the guy who murdered a Black Lives Matter protester is a hardcore racist.
    Daniel Perry, convicted of killing BLM demonstrator, also wrote of wanting to kill protesters, Muslims, Black people
    The 76 pages filed by Travis County prosecutors also reveal messages dating back years in which Perry, an Army sergeant, talked about killing people — several times referencing a desire to kill Muslims.

In a 2019 message, for example, Perry wrote it was "to [sic] bad we can't get paid for hunting Muslims in Europe."
    Weeks before Foster's death, Perry in a May 2020 Facebook message exchange told a friend he "might have to kill a few people" who were rioting outside his apartment complex.

The friend wrote to Perry: "Can you catch me a negro daddy." "That is what I am hoping," Perry responded.

Other messages talked of going to Dallas "to shoot looters" and included "white power" memes.

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like the type of guy they want to celebrate as an ideal

10. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    This is the guy Abbott thinks is wrongly convicted of shooting a BLM protestor.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The friend wrote to Perry: "Can you catch me a negro daddy." "That is what I am hoping," Perry responded.

I can't say I'm surprised an asshole like Abbott would want to pardon a racist bastard like this. Par for the course for the state of Texas and the Republican party.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don’t kid yourself. DeSantis would do the same, would honor him for fighting against CRT indoctrination

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Given what’s come out, I’m curious if anyone can defend pardoning the guy

• Like Like x 1
  14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    In context: black man spits at a cop gets 70 years, white guy shoots a BLM protestor - gets a pardon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Meanwhile…

16. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    But he’s a white Christian male soooooo.

17. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    So glad to see not a single person is in here defending this crap.

18. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I would never leave my child with a youth pastor. They seem as skanky as catholic priests.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree here. I think the only solution is the reduction of power. Expanding the power of those in office will only serve to exacerbate the problem. Expanding the Supreme Court in on direction will only result in expansion in the other.

When FDR tried to pack the court, the senate judiciary committee rebuked the attempt with words that I wish would be inscribed on the desks of all our leaders today:

“For the protection of the people, for the preservation of the rights of the individual, for the maintenance of the liberties of minorities, for maintaining the checks and balances of our dual system, the three branches of the government were so constituted that the independent expression of honest difference of opinion could never be restrained in the people's servants and no one branch could overawe or subjugate the others. That is the American system. It is immeasurably more important, immeasurably more sacred to the people of America, indeed, to the people of all the world than the immediate adoption of any legislation however beneficial.”

New Deal Legislation | Pepperdine School of Public Policy

• Like Like x 1
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Given these people’s cult like traits, even if the new revelations show they are wrong, they aren’t likely to backtrack.

This assumes they would see these quotes as anything “wrong” in the first place. I wouldn’t be confident of that. I’m guessing a whole lot of far right neo-Nazi types see nothing wrong with this guys thought process. Rather than being some sort of revelation, it may be more similar to Trumps pardon of the war criminal, where it’s useful to evil folks doing some performative vice signaling.