Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So Whats Next

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We all know that so I’m sure it’s crossed his mind. I doubt he’s an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hudson replaced George a few times and once Waites returned he also got quality snaps at tackle. Unfortunately by then Barber was barely able to function due to injury. Losing Godwin preseason ended up being bigger than we imagined

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    True we struggled against solid teams. The 11 & 14 were not good days, the 20 was against a team that only gave up 15 a game. The 15 we scored against fsu was with a player that had played very little, and fsu only gave up 19 a game. Total offense per game was better than OSU, fsu, Bama and Michigan (included only because NC).

Better defense and better line we will like the results. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    I disagree with this. If you see what we have returning, this should excite a coach. We have a quality offense and a lot of players coming back. Add Mizell, Jean, Webb and TJ and the transfers in, we should do even better. We got better on the O-Line and that's a huge positive going into the season.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Many people here are forgetting how injured our O-line was last year. I expect that we will have more experienced depth to shore that O-line room up.

I get a kick out of people talking about the analytics of our offense and our QB in particular. To me it's like this... if a high school super star QB knows that our coach will make him look as good as any QB in the nation than that means more good/great QBs will look at our football program in a positive light. Who cares if some of the passes are for 1 or 2 yards if the receiver can get 20 or 30 yards out of it. Maybe these people need to see "yards in air" stats... Lol.

I think the average yards per toss or throw covers all we need to know about that QB passing statistic. That covers how far the ball is thrown on average.. that does matter.

When someone says that our offense only scores 20 points on average against top 30 defenses... there's more to it then just our offense being unable to score on it's own. Often times our defense is on the field too long and therefore opposing team offenses are hogging up time while we play defense. That takes time away from our offense to have the ball and for our offense to score more points in games.

So it's not only about our offense not scoring on their own, it's about how much time they have in which to do it... score. So... better team defenses means opposing teams offenses have the ball more, and we have the ball on offense less. And the equals less points scored.

But getting back to the short or lateral passes... I do think we need to figure-out another type of sure fire completion that works at a high rate or high percentage... like perhaps we can "master" the slant pass. That's one of the most underutilized passes in our playbook. It's usually a high completion percentage pass play and the receiver usually has a running start when catching the ball... win, win.

But the injuries were the ultimate killer and losing an important O-lineman to a family crisis was unavoidable and unforeseeable. I still do NOT blame our coaches for the O-line play last year. Although they will be expected to make the adjustments to add SEC quality depth to that room for the 2024 football season.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    TLDR: Fix the MF defense!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Yes, defenses.

I’m dyslexic, so I mess up simple spelling quite a bit. I notice my mistakes a lot of the time and will correct them if I feel like it.

Odd how you stopped at the spelling error without addressing the ridicule of your silly “deep dive” statement. Interesting…

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    The OTs were definitely the main issue; I’ve harped on that. I’ve kinda brushed off the “average” OG play last year. I should hold the OGs more accountable for their 2023 performance. Even though they were better than the OTs, the position had a big drop off from 2022.

Need the OGs to get closer to their 2022 performance next year. Thinkin’ that’s why CBN let the starters go without a fight, and he's liking the young guys, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    I didn't realize Hudson graded out so well (GC article). Wonder why he didn’t play more?!?

10. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    :emoji_trophy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    +1

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    my memory is terrible, but it seemed like he didn’t get the opportunity until late in the year with all the injuries. Maybe he was dinged up at the beginning of the year, too I don’t know.

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m tentatively optimistic for sure

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I left out 22 we scored against Charlotte. That’s another stinker. So 5 poor offensive games or over 40% of our games where the offense struggled. I agree with better defense and better line.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    That's where depth comes in handy..... sadly we didn't have it yet, hence why we were fielding the youngest team in the country already.

16. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Ended up being a huge loss. A Goodwin/Barber T1 combo was looking very strong after spring. Never recovered from Goodwin’s departure, then when Barber got hurt, OT was a mess.

I saw a comment from a UK fan, Goodwin is still struggling. Stated he was over 400lbs and having other issues… Damn.

17. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    I’m there with ya. I didn’t notice, or remember, him playing better than Waites or George. I’ll try to read up on it.

18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    It's sad when posters have to turn to being the Grammar police and try to make fun of a poster for a typo that was probably typed on a phone with a small keyboard and fat thumbs, or a talk-to-text and the "smart phone" chose the wrong word. You gotta do better @shane4three

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He actually played a decent amount in an early home game when George struggled...maybe Charlotte. I remember thinking he was clearly better in pass pro that day. But he just stayed in spot duty. George probably better run blocking

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    I remember commenting on the OGT's when they were in and seemed to be doing ok, or at the least you didn't notice they were in, which for OL is a compliment.