Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It looks like Drew to UK - Nope Drew turns down Kentucky - UK scrambles and turns to Mark Pope (BYU)

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 10, 2024.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Soon, he'll be old enough to run for President
    Sorry, Too Hot

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 5
  2. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Mass defections = advantage UF. Let's sift through the wreckage and bring in the best one (which I think we are this weekend)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Who are we bringing in? I haven't heard any mention of UK players visiting.

4. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I thought Aaron Bradshaw but maybe you’re right in that we haven’t scheduled him yet

5. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    He isn’t worth it. The people attached to him (Clutch) expect big promises.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Gotcha, thanks for the inside info. Who would you target (based on who are already in the portal) if you were us?

7. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Yeah they threatened to have him transfer mid year on top of they got mad when Z was brought in and finally was eligible. Honestly I have not even looked at the portal. I just assume we are losing everybody.
    From what the recruiting people say this was the year to lose a recruiting class. Don’t get me wrong they are talented but without help they would struggle. Fland is probably the best. I just assume they will all go to Arkansas.

Let me end by saying Bradshaw was a great teammate it’s just the people in charge are not cool.

8. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    ugh, yes the ole "people in charge" issues...poor kids have so many expectations placed on them and so many trying to control the process. It even happens after they turn pro. everyone trying to control the player and get their piece
    thanks for sharing your insights

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator

Sep 15, 2007
    Yep. It has been that way since at least the 1980s in AUU basketball in Memphis, where I was (and other bigger cities).

10. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Who or what is "Clutch?"

11. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Clutch is a sports agency and Bradshaw is a client.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Thanks.
    I hope this isn't the new normal. But I fear it will be soon.

13. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    85% of ours had people…that number may even have been higher.

That’s one of the reasons I am excited for the hire a new culture is going to be established.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 All American

One of the VERY underrated reasons for Cal's failure is the double edged sword in his recruiting methods. Cal makes deals with AAU coaches, high school coaches and presumably now sports agencies/agents representing players, agreeing to certain amounts of playing time for players he's recruiting. This is one of his main tools for locking down so many 5 star kids.

But, as I said, its a double edged sword. Yeah you get really talented kids, but you've hamstringed yourself with obligations for playing time if the kid isnt as good as advertised and needs to spend a year developing. He HAS to make good on those promises, otherwise the coaches/agents wont send kids his way.

One of the chief complaints Ive seen on Rupp Rafters has been confusion over Cal's lineups that don't play well together or arent the best 5 they can field. The reason for these weird lineups is simple: Cal has to make good on his playing time obligations. So he has to sell out the best interest of the team and university for personal promises he makes when the two conflict.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Absolutely true. Great post. I also hope it continues to screw him up until retirement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Press Conference introducing Pope this afternoon. My guess is we will need a whole new roster so UK will be looking for 12-13 players.

Looking forward to this process!! It has been a long time coming.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Here's an interesting stat - 28 of 560 NBA players went to UK. That's 5% of all current NBA players. If we exclude the roughly 140 players that didn't go to US Colleges (int'l players, US players that went overseas or straight to the G League out of HS) that's 6.7% or 1 in 15 that came from UK.

Think of how much money Cal and his crew of handlers made to make that happen over the years, and how influential he's been in funneling players into the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Hope he fails miserably!

19. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Lol well we have failed miserably the last few years so the pendulum may swing back our way sooner or later. It is time to get our program back to being Kentucky first.

Looking at pictures Rupp may be over halfway full for his press conference. Pope will get my full support, but I understand you hope for bad things from a rival.

20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Interesting to see fan outrage on twitter/message boards when the hire was announced and now, a few day later, fans pouring into rupp for the introductory press conference. I think it shows some fans buying in but also the difference between fans on social media and average fans.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1