Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Alex Condon Next Year

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by rserina, Apr 9, 2024.

1. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    While I think we target two bigs in the portal (largely because of Handlogten's injury), I think Condon's development could really mitigate some of our concerns in the post. It's easy to forget this kid is just 19 years old and has only played one season of American ball (not to mention being a latecomer to basketball). I never expected him to be an 8/7 guy or play 20 minutes a game, but he did, and showed off a ton of physicality and post moves in the process.

Looking a little deeper. though, he is really strong in some areas we desperately need: he was the best on the entire time in defensive rebounding (22.5) and block (5.8) rates, not to mention being only a hair's breadth behind Pullin for free throw rate (.529). Those are terrific numbers for a freshman big in areas that impact winning substantially. His foul rate (7.0 per 100 possessions), while not as bad as Handlogten or Haugh, needs to come down, and he has to hold onto the ball (16.9 TO rate--worst in the rotation) and not force things so much in the paint (only 50% on 2s--worst amongst our bigs).

With his experience this year, I think even a modest improvement in some of those negative numbers, not to mention getting up to the 24-26 minute range, could make him a legit 12-14 pt, 9-10 reb range, which basically makes him next year's Samuel. Still need another rim protector/finisher to pair with him, and ideally another big who can offensive rebound and defend in space, but Condon's jump, IMO, could be the most important thing that happens next year.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think he will be thick enough to defend several of the big low post guys that he would face in college. That being said, I believe that he has the athleticism and skill set that is suited for playing the 4 at the college and pro level. I also think that Haugh has the athleticism and skill set that is suited for playing the 3. If these guys improve their outside shots (they have the form to do so), then by pairing them with a monster down low, we could have a formidable frontcourt.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. jacksonvillejeff

jacksonvillejeff Sophomore

Apr 4, 2024
    Agree on all your points. I thought he looked better than Micah did at the 5. Stronger build, much more advanced post play. Better defensively.

Another freshman who was quietly one of the most effective players down the stretch was Haugh. His SEC numbers were very impressive. I think both could be the starters next year. Whichever big we can grab out of the portal most likely won't be starting. Unless we've got a big fish in mind that I have no idea about.

4. 67walkon

67walkon VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Condon often reminded me of Kevin McHale. Now if Haugh could remind me of Larry Bird!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    Someone said Haugh does not miss in practice so that means once he settles down he could be crazy good. His recovery after being beat is really good and seems like he often gets a surprise block from behind.

Condon will be a great as well. Seems like he rushes his shot in the paint and is a little indecisive when he gets the ball at the top, all will change with a little more time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jacksonvillejeff

jacksonvillejeff Sophomore

Apr 4, 2024
    Saw his HS highlights this time last year and was left wondering why he wasn't rated much higher.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    If these guys both get a sophomore jump, they'll be awesome.
    They both came in as freshman stringbeans but got quickly stronger in the preseason training regimen. With an even longer preseason of strength training they'll have true SEC bodies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree. They will be great when paired with a true 5. If they were our 4 and 5, we'd be undersized.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    Completely agree on Condon. You missed a couple of his strong points: he has amazing hands and plays super hard even when fatigued. He has a chance to be special for us as a 4/5. He will get lots of minutes at both just as he did this year.
    I love Haugh as well. No one plays harder and covers so much ground defensively off the ball. Plus both those dudes are so tough!!

I’ve seen mentioned here Haugh and playing the 3. Don’t expect to see much of that. He played pretty much 0 minutes there this season and I wouldn’t expect that to change much at all over the course of his college career. In today’s game he is a perfect college 4. He just needs to knock down 3’s at a higher rate which I think he will. Needs to learn to keep his shoulders over his knees on his shot and not lunge his shoulders back. The rest looks good. There are tons of drills he can do to work on landing on his “toes” vs his heels. He also for sure rushes it a little bit. Typical for a frosh.

overall love these two and agree what we need to bring in if Handy isn’t ready to go which he probably won’t be another good defensive big and a Samuel clone. A physical offensive rebounder who can really body other big guys. But what a start with these two young guys in the post. Future looks bright.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    This is a good post, but I am going to disagree with some of it. Haugh gives us a great opportunity to have a defensively dominating 3 ala Corey Brewer. They are the same height, Haugh has the athleticism and quickness to defend the 3. He also has the ballhandling and passing skills to play the 3. As you said, he needs to tweak his shooting form and slow down a little on his outside shot, but his shooting form is pretty solid. I also see Condon ideally as a 4. Handlogten is not a rim protector and likely won’t become one, but he is a valuable big man. Shimmy is an unknown, but I really like his pre-college film. We obviously also will be adding another man at the 5 in addition to Rioux. If we end up with a solid, rim protecting 5, a lineup that includes that guy plus Condon and Haugh at the 4 and 3 might be tailor made to play zone part or most of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Haugh was very highly thought of defensively on the travel circuit, but I never saw anyone project him as a defensive oriented wing at this level, let alone in the mold of Brewer. He played the three in workouts last summer/fall, but that was because we had numbers at the post, not on the wing (Jarvis was practicing at the four, Rishwain hadn’t been cleared yet at the three).

He was far better rebounding and finishing in the paint than I expected last year, but he struggled against fours in space defensively, and he doesn’t have much in the way of handles. I have a hard time believing envisioning him on the wing, but love the energy he brings in the post, especially running the floor. That said, Golden wants to play bigger at the four, so it will be interesting to see how he uses Haugh.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Haugh actually has exceptional handles. I watched this guy play 4 or 5 games for his high school team and he was bringing the ball up court and running the show. I confess to not knowing how well he defended the 4, but he seems to me to have the quickness and athleticism of a 3.

13. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    see my post above why this is not the case. We will play stretches with these two at the 4/5
    A common mistake is forgetting that coaching at its best is using the different tools in your tool belt. We had great post tools this year. Different combos for different opponents. That is what any coach wants and what Golden will attempt to recreate this year. Disagree with Haugh struggled vs 4’s in space. He was great defensively in space overall. He did get overpowered some down low. However, he was a freshman. In today’s game it is much more likely Haugh is a big piece and gets a lot of minutes at the 4 this year. Condon will bounce between the 4/5 and my guess is we will add another true 5 who based on analytics is a good rebounder. We will also possibly add another big depending on shimmy's status. I think Condon will get 30 min or so, haugh 20-25 which leaves room for some others.

we really see it the same overall on Haugh. What he lacks in size he makes up with his strengths. I would assume as hard as he works in games he will improve next year and be a great 4 for us. Just needs to become a higher percentage shooter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    the giveaway here is how he really didn’t play the 3 at all this year. Almost zero minutes there. As a coach I can tell you if you think a guy can grow into a position you give him some minutes there and see how he handles it. There were plenty of opportunities for Golden to do that this year. Games where Richard and Kugel weren’t playing well and we could of used Haugh at the 3. Just didn’t happen. I would be shocked if he plays significant minutes at the 3 at any point in his career here. Would be awesome if he had the opportunity, but isn’t super necessary. I think we will look to add a bigger 3 at some point and that is how we will get more size on the floor. Like a 6’6/6’7 guy.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not a giveaway when you have 5 other guys for the 1-3 and 4 guys for the 4-5 and Haugh is a freshman adjusting to college basketball. Obviously, I don’t know what will happen the same way I don’t know what will happen to Aberdeen, Kublickas and Shimmy.

16. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    TG doesnt agree with you, he has pointed out that he had plans to play TH at the 3, he played him at the 3 some last year in big lineups even though we played them sparingly. But he was even quoted saying he was training TH there before Jarvis left. We will see what happens down the road. I do like him at the 4 though some also, but AC can do that also.

• Like Like x 1
  17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't see how anything you wrote changes the fact that we would be undersized starting Condon/Haugh at the 4 and 5. I didn't say it won't happen, or that we won't play stretches like that... surely we will have them on the floor together as the 4 and 5 at times, but it is an undersized lineup and I think a true 7 foot big is more desirable at the 5.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  18. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    about how many total minutes do you recall haugh playing the 3. For the entire season it was under 10. Let’s see what happens. Time will tell.

19. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    My point was there will be some minutes in games we will be undersized but that does not necessarily matter. Size at times is needed and at other times other things are needed. Too much emphasis is being made on haugh and Condon being undersized together. The bottom line is they are two great pieces and will be combined with at least one other big if not two to make up a great front court. We shouldn’t be getting caught up on any specific line up more so the entire make up of the post guys.

20. gatorrick1

gatorrick1 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    we shall see. Again several times we could of used better play from our 3 spot. Many times we could of used haugh there to steal minutes here and there. By and large didn’t happen. I can say for the guys I have coached who have games similar to Haugh, who went on to play D1 once they got to campus and didn’t get minutes at the 3 it never really happened for them. Every single one of them stayed at the 4 spot. Again I will be shocked he ever gets significant minutes at the 3. We shall see how it plays out.